News Nearly all Nintendo 64 games can now be recompiled into native PC ports to add proper ray tracing, ultrawide, high FPS, and more

Giroro

Splendid
So this method of emulation seems to do upfront what I assumed every other emulator was already doing in real time.
Maybe that's because I exclusively code in Assembly and C?

So now I'm just scratching my head wondering what the other emulators are actually doing, and why.
I was also confused when I found out people spending 2 years to manually decompile an N64 game. It's just find and replace to decompile machine code into Assembly. You could write a script to do that in half a day... So what are these people actually doing?

Nov 3, 2023
So this method of emulation seems to do upfront what I assumed every other emulator was already doing in real time.

So now I'm just scratching my head wondering what the other emulators are actually doing, and why.
I was also confused when I found out people spending 2 years to manually decompile an N64 game. It's just find and replace to decompile machine code into Assembly. You could write a script to do that in half a day... So what are these people actually doing?

Emulators have to emulate the hardware before the software even becomes a considering factor. Emulators haven't been out here recompiling game code in real time, no.

Sep 21, 2023
Emulators have to emulate the hardware before the software even becomes a considering factor. Emulators haven't been out here recompiling game code in real time, no.
Actually JIT recompiling is exactly what a lot of emulators do, because it's much, much faster than hardware emulation.

The difference between what this project is doing and what emulators do is that all the recompiling is done up front before runtime so there's no overhead when running, meaning the hardware demands are significantly lower.

nimbulan

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2016

The whole point of decompiling is to be able to port the game over to different hardware/software. In order to do that, they need to make the code readable so that it can be modified, which requires exhaustive painstaking editing. That's why it takes so long.

This new tool is basically automating that process with a universal frontend that handles real-time graphics API translation, vs the manual ports which generally mod modern graphics APIs into the game.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
It sucks to live in capitalism. Imagine a world without proprietary consoles and etc, you just have a universal console hardware called PC and every game designed to run on it is open source from the start.

...and yes. Nintendo will hate this. Which, means I love it.
Nintendo will love this to easily add n64 games to the switch, heck this opens up the way to a n64mini.
But they will also hunt this down, probably, if there is a legal opening for them to do so.
It sucks to live in capitalism. Imagine a world without proprietary consoles and etc, you just have a universal console hardware called PC and every game designed to run on it is open source from the start.
Yeah have a look at itch.io , that would be the average level of quality you would get from that sort of games.

May 13, 2024

Emulators emulate, not decompile or recompile.

Decompilation is not the 1:1 conversion to assembly that you mean, rather it is the conversion to a higher level, hardware-independent language such as C.

So that they can then be recompiled to a different instruction set such as x86-64. This allows running them natively on a normal PC, without the overhead of emulation. They can also be altered more easily to add features since they are now in a high level language.

May 13, 2024
Apart from Tetris, originally a hobby project, I don't know any game that the Communists managed to produce until 1992.

They were too busy standing in bread lines and bribing officials for shoes or furniture to bother with decadent luxuries like video games.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, possible the shift 2 will use SD Express cards so Nintendo might make a killing just selling old shift games on the new format.

Nintendo will kill this if it makes too much money.

Giroro

Splendid
Well, possible the shift 2 will use SD Express cards so Nintendo might make a killing just selling old shift games on the new format.

Nintendo will kill this if it makes too much money.

I would have bought a hypothetical Switch Pro if the only change they made was to increase the SD/EMMS reads to UHS-II speeds of ~300 MBps. Slow, frequent loads (and deliberately time-wasting design to hide loading) are high on the list of reasons I think ToTK is frustratingly one of their worst Zelda games.

But Nintento would definitely need something faster like SD Express to justify calling their next console Next-Gen. Some proprietary implementation of PCIe 3 x1 (or better) or UFS 2.0 in the carts would be a fine place to start, too. They don't need to be insanely fast, because I doubt they'll be targeting massive UHD textures... but they need to be a lot faster than they currently are.

May 14, 2024

What you assume is wrong.

May 15, 2024
The Saturn Sonic 3D Blast was done using an assembly language to C++ converter that I wrote and then I added new graphics, visual effects, CD sound, etc but the code was identical to the Genesis version. So this is basically doing what I did for the Saturn version but automating it.

Reactions: TheyCallMeContra
Nov 3, 2023
The Saturn Sonic 3D Blast was done using an assembly language to C++ converter that I wrote and then I added new graphics, visual effects, CD sound, etc but the code was identical to the Genesis version. So this is basically doing what I did for the Saturn version but automating it.
Saturn 3D Blast is a cool port, thanks for sounding off!

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018

Imagine if all the people who said this sort of phrasing actually meant what they said, switched to Linux or FreeBSD, and got off of the corporate bandwagon. The market share would double.