NEC EA274WMi Monitor Review: Eco-Friendly At 2560x1440

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
My 27" Monoprice IPS monitor was $300 total, with $10 in Rakuten credit to boot. So, it could be considered to be $290.

I'm sure this monitor is slight better, but come on NEC, $800 is ridiculous.
Even more ridiculous is this quote from the review:
"At $800, this is the least-expensive high-res model in the line. "
haha!

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I'll be glad when the QHD's get down to a more affordable price. They've been out for quite some time now. There's no reason to keep building these monitors for such a high premium, when 4K is on the horizion. Also, they should build these QHD's with better refresh rates already, and bigger screens too. We should be able to go to the store and buy quality 30 in.+ QHD's at around $300-600.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
FFS! The ROG Swift is going to be coming out soon and it's sporting 144hz, 1ms response, 2560x1440 and G-sync... for like $799.

The Korean 2560x1440's are in the $300 - $400 price range.

Who the hell is pricing these things?

Jess Castro

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
When you can buy a 4k monitor for about the same price wtf are they thinking? I would not pay over 300 dollars for a 1440p monitor, espeically one without g-sync. Give me a 4k 27in 120hz+ ips with gysnc for around a grand and Im all in. Tired of being asked to pay a stupid premium for 15 year old tech that is on its deathbed.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Overlord Computer has been selling their Tempest OC monitor for 2 years now and it is at $450 shipping and warrantied out of California. The Tempest is the only IPS that can be overclocked up to 120Hz that I know of. If you want an IPS at 1440 they should be on your list to check out - I have 3!! They also will have a Gsync IPS panel that will run native around 96Hz - the only one on the planet - those are the rumors at least.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
As for this quote in the article: "There is still no factory support for refresh rates greater than 60 Hz. "

Untrue Overlord warranties their OC model and is the only OEM making IPS panels specifically for gamers. Why Tom's doesn't have one of the Tempests to review I still don't understand. Oh wait - that's right - it's pay to review on this site! DOH!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
everyone is talking about qhd this and qhd that....don't forget to upgrade your graphic cards...today's cards can't keep up...they are power hungry POS...AMD and eNvidia really need to work on power usage....i love my HD 7970 CF set up....man it rus hot...my room is wayyyy to hot when i start gaming.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
1440p is not the standard nor is it fast becoming one. 1080p is the standard. 1440p is less than 1% of the user base and has been for 2yrs+. I remember Anandtech claiming this crap in the 660ti review which I bashed ~2yrs ago :) It was a dumb comment then (stupid way for Ryan to claim AMD the victor when most games were under 30fps AVG at that res...ROFL, most under 20fps min!...LOL) , and still is one now. That is about when AMD's portal showed up on anandtech (no bias there...LOL). Not only are these expensive as 1080p 24in can be had for far less, but you require tons of gpu power to run them without turning all kinds of stuff off for a LOT of games. Heck a 780ti can be brought to it's knees by 1080p maxed in some games. This will only get worse as engines up the gpu requirements. I'm not even sure 1440p will be doable (maxed in EVERYTHING) with maxwell 20nm.

Let me know when 1440p hits 25% share of the market. At that point MAYBE you can claim it's the standard. I expect an email in 3-4yrs...ROFL.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
scroll down to primary monitor resolution. .93%...
Note 1080p=32.91%
Ideally for it to be standard it has to be the highest percent right? 1080p. GET IT?

Yes I want us to get to higher res monitors being standard ASAP (with GPU's that can actually push this res without the need for 2+ cards), but reality is that day hasn't arrived so quit saying this BS.

Also understand that .93% is the penetration of gamers. I'm guessing it is far less if you include the non-gamers who mostly have no need to splurge on an $400-800 monitor to view the web or email and anything under $490 or so I wouldn't touch at 27in/1440p, and not at all without Gsync. I wouldn't buy a monitor without that (put the purchase off) unless mine DIED today forcing me to upgrade. The cheapest NAME you'd recognize on newegg is asus at $490.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
As for this quote in the article: "There is still no factory support for refresh rates greater than 60 Hz. "

Untrue Overlord warranties their OC model and is the only OEM making IPS panels specifically for gamers. Why Tom's doesn't have one of the Tempests to review I still don't understand. Oh wait - that's right - it's pay to review on this site! DOH!

This is absolutely not true. Our editorial and advertising departments are purposely kept very separate. In fact, I couldn't even tell you if there are display vendors advertising on the site. We review monitors because they're an important part of the computing experience.

If you or another representative of Tempest would like to submit a display for review, please contact us! Alternatively, we can reach out to you, also :)

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I did not know that - thanks for clarifying! Very good to know since there are so many ads on this site I always assumed (incorrectly) that companies paid for the ability to have reviews put up.

I will email Overlord to tell them so since I have been supporting them since they started! Fan boy? You betcha!

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
One reason companies attempt to get reviews is to sell more units. Considering Overlord is sold out of all but one of their monitors, I don't know how much help they need.

That said, I am considering sticking with 60HZ and moving to a Korean 30" 2560x1600 panel. I've gamed at 60HZ for a long time and am used to it, but I'd really like to have more screen real estate. If someone comes out with a 30" panel that supports 120HZ for something REASONABLE then I'd be interested, but I'm not dropping as much as an entire computer on a display.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
One reason companies attempt to get reviews is to sell more units. Considering Overlord is sold out of all but one of their monitors, I don't know how much help they need.

That said, I am considering sticking with 60HZ and moving to a Korean 30" 2560x1600 panel. I've gamed at 60HZ for a long time and am used to it, but I'd really like to have more screen real estate. If someone comes out with a 30" panel that supports 120HZ for something REASONABLE then I'd be interested, but I'm not dropping as much as an entire computer on a display.

Get what you pay for, all these noobs with their 1080p displays are so limiting themselves.Ive been gaming on 30 inches for over 3 years now that I paid $1200 for. Been worth every cent to have much more real estate over the 120hz option. 4K is my next purchase when they come down to $1500 or less.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You voted my post down for stating the obvious truth and proving it? What for? I'm already above 1080p, but as stated it's the most common used res NOT 1440p. So what is your problem with the post? Same question for the other two that voted down the truth. Some people. I even stated I want us to move on...LOL. You don't like steam surveys or something? Hate for me?...Whatever...

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I'll answer your question with a question - why in the hell do you care that your post got voted down by me and 2 others? Do you need confirmation on all your posts of your ability to pull some stats and say something on a forum?

Ok then - great job! Atta Boy!

I didn't like the tone of your post it came off arrogant and at the same time needy to show how "in the know" you think you are.

Funny, I didn't know I was supposed to provide a justification for not liking someone's post, but there you go.

vajoiner

Reputable
May 18, 2014
:\ "impressed with their build quality" thats always funny to me... im using a hannspree 1920x1200 monitor going on 8 years now. its been ON for 8 years as in i never turn my computer off. it cost me 300 on sale at officemax. and so far it hasnt disintegrated traveling trice up and down the east coast. its like the 8210 of monitors

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

OH, you're the PC police. We have enough of that junk already. Judge the data, not the person. So the priorities for you when judging a post isn't about the post at all...ROFL. I'm arrogant, needy and my TONE sucks...As long as the data is good who cares...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg
Congratulations. You made it to the 3rd level. Responding to the tone of my post...LOL. But that is still completely failing with your "vote". That's OK...I only care about the data anyway, which isn't changing. Come back when you've got something to say about the data instead of me ;) You spend too much time worrying about the tone of a post instead of the content.
"criticizes the tone of the writing without addressing the substance of the argument." ....Yep. Actually I think you may have done the bottom 3.

Why do you care how I sound? Ah...Not here for the data? Just here to judge people's tone, attack their character etc.

The answer to your ?: I comment to find out if someone can argue with the data (for stock purposes mostly, I want MORE data if I can get it, no matter how their TONE is - they might save me money etc). If nobody can tear it down or show better data points, I'm probably on the right track :) I THOUGHT that was what this was, so I wanted to know what part of that you thought was wrong or if you had other info that would prove that. I couldn't care less about your opinion of me or mine of you. It doesn't enter into my comments about your data/points (which there was none.). You're worried about if it's offensive, etc while I'm worried about "is the data in his post right?". My response previously tells you that. I thought this was a DATA discussion forum, not a PC police hangout. Much like grammar/spelling nazis we have no use for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.