Question Nec Laptop CPU upgrade

Mar 25, 2023
Hello, good day.
I have this Nec LS150/N Laptop that was given by my sister. And I wanted to upgrade it's CPU to make it kinda better than it is now.
Here's the specifications of my laptop.
I tried searching through the internet to find what would be the compatible CPU on it however most are like suggestions. I also tried searching through the manufacturers manual however I can't find one or some are just plain Chinese language.
Thank you and have a great day ahead!

Mar 25, 2023
The cpu is BGA(soldered to the motherboard) so while not impossible to upgrade its is usually not feasible due to the cost involved.
Wait mine is not though... I can easily pop it out just like how on a normal desktop motherboards.

bignastyid

Titan
Must have different motherboards in the same model. the limited info I found on that model was it used a celeron 2957u which is BGA. What cpu do you have? That would likely be quicker than sifting through that large text document just for a model.

Reactions: Lao11

USAFRet

Titan
Your text seems to indicate a Celeron(R) CPU 1005M, in a 988B rPGA socket.

So, in theory, it is changeable.

HOWEVER........

It is not just the socket.
The motherboard BIOS, and the cooling situation also need to be able to handle a "different/better" CPU
Unlikely this is the case.

And since this is already a decade old, you could only put in one of the same vintage.
Resulting in...not much benefit.

Laptops are rarely upgradeable outside of storage and RAM.

Reactions: Lao11
Mar 25, 2023
Must have different motherboards in the same model. the limited info I found on that model was it used a celeron 2957u which is BGA. What cpu do you have? That would likely be quicker than sifting through that large text document just for a model.
Name Intel Celeron 1005M
Codename Ivy Bridge
Specification Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 988B rPGA

Here's the cpu on this laptop.

Mar 25, 2023
Name Intel Celeron 1005M
Codename Ivy Bridge
Specification Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 988B rPGA

Here's the cpu on this laptop.

HOWEVER........

The motherboard BIOS, and the cooling situation also need to be able to handle a "different/better" CPU

And since this is already a decade old, you could only put in one of the same vintage.
Resulting in...

HOWEVER........

Resulting in...not much benefit.

Laptops are rarely upgradeable outside of storage and RAM.
Really? Dang, I already upgraded the storage though, the ram is already kinda good I think. The cpu is the only problem that I have now which kinda sucks... Which is why I wanted to upgrade it.