NEC Says Its Memory Saves Info Without Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
It's only a matter of time before the comment I think is going to pop up, pops up so I'll just get it out of the way:

Can I use it to play Crysis?

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]It's only a matter of time before the comment I think is going to pop up, pops up so I'll just get it out of the way:Can I use it to play Crysis?[/citation]

No. No you can't. Because Crysis can't be played; it plays you.

Think about that one.

G

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]It's only a matter of time before the comment I think is going to pop up, pops up so I'll just get it out of the way:Can I use it to play Crysis?[/citation]

If your computer can use CAM it most certainly will!

[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]No. No you can't. Because Crysis can't be played; it plays you.Think about that one.[/citation]

Touché my friend.

billyboy999

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Not 100% in what context this article is using 'CAM' with, but CAMs aren't random access, they're 'all-access', meaning you don't give it an address and get back data, you give it data and it returns you matching addresses. They are usually used for things like L1 caches, register files, reorder buffer, renaming table, TLBs, etc. Usually not for RAM.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
how many years have we been hearing of this type of memory, only to never have it developed or commercialized for being ridiculously hard to manufacture to the point of being of non commercial value or so non standard and proprietary that the industry is unwilling or unable to make use of it. So tired of this crap. Wake me when I can by some actual standard DIMMS of this from Newegg.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]how many years have we been hearing of this type of memory, only to never have it developed or commercialized for being ridiculously hard to manufacture to the point of being of non commercial value or so non standard and proprietary that the industry is unwilling or unable to make use of it. So tired of this crap. Wake me when I can by some actual standard DIMMS of this from Newegg.[/citation]
Why do you even want it? I'm all for technology advancement, but even if it were available today how would it improve your computing experience? I expect even if you had memory with infinite speed that used no power, all the other speed bottlenecks and power hungry subsystems in PC architecture would kick in with little net gain.

billyboy999

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Why do you even want it? I'm all for technology advancement, but even if it were available today how would it improve your computing experience? I expect even if you had memory with infinite speed that used no power, all the other speed bottlenecks and power hungry subsystems in PC architecture would kick in with little net gain.[/citation]
Oh no. Computers would see a huge gain in performance if we had faster memory, and everything else was redesigned to take advantage of it. Memory is the slowest thing in a computer apart from hard drives and stuff. For example, if we had memory that was infinitely fast, we wouldn't need L1/L2/L3 caches, leaving all that real estate open for more computing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.