NEC's EA244UHD Has a 24-inch 4K IPS Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
At my old firm we had dual NEC EA244WMi-BK monitors. They were awesome!!!

With NEC you get what you pay for and then some. The only bad thing is that only corporations can afford these, normal home users will have to part with 2 weeks pay just to pick up one of these, may have cut back on some meals, may have to go as far as ration out the toilet paper too.

I want 2 of them :(

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Nice monitor, but Ill take the ASUS $650 28' 4k monitor any day over $1349.
I don't think I could go back to a TN panel after using IPS panels for so long. Large TN panels can have color shift toward the edges even when you're sitting straight in front of them simply due to how large the panel is and how close you are to it. The Tom's review clearly calls out this issue with the ASUS panel even when the reviewer is sitting back nearly 3 feet from the screen: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-pb287q-4k-monitor,3832-8.html

digitalwitchcraft

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

With NEC you get what you pay for and then some. The only bad thing is that only corporations can afford these, normal home users will have to part with 2 weeks pay just to pick up one of these, may have cut back on some meals, may have to go as far as ration out the toilet paper too.

if i want to get one, i will have to part with 12 months pay

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Wait it said massive screen real estate - am I missing something? This is only a 24" panel correct? What's so massive about it? And don't say pixel density - sure it will be pretty, but way too small.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Quite the price difference between this 24' 75hz 4k IPS Monitor and the ASUS 28' 60hz 4k TN Panel. I mean, at that price, you could buy 2 of the ASUS 4ks, have 4 extra inches of viewspace, and spend $50 on beer.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Are you? Didn't I say ignore pixel density? There are much larger 4K screens available that would be considered massive. Not 24". Plus I am not sure what that shows. And the correct term you moron is intellectually disabled.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Are you? Didn't I say ignore pixel density? There are much larger 4K screens available that would be considered massive. Not 24". Plus I am not sure what that shows. And the correct term you moron is intellectually disabled.

he is taking it as though you don't need to scale the ui for anything, and don't need to enlarge any text, if that is the case, than you have 4 monitors of work space on 24 inches... but most people do need to scale the ui, and that kills almost all the real estate that you would have otherwise had.

4k for gameing, that would be good to have a 24 inch monitor
4k for anything else, i will only get one at 48 inches, but some people could handle 30~inch monitors.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Damn, I'll definitely wait on getting a 4K monitor until there's a good IPS option, but this is way too pricey for me. I wonder if Viewsonic will release something similar to the fantastic VP2365WB I've been using for some years. Excellent price to performance with that IPS panel.

flaca

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
The article doesn't clarify but this is also a wide gamut monitor, probably color accurate too (but without the color accuracy extras/guarantees that come with NEC's even more expensive and not-even-4k PA series monitors). That's the reference to 99 point whatever AdobeRGB coverage, it is a much bigger colorspace than sRGB - most monitors only show sRGB colors, and that's all most software needs unless it's specially written to take advantage of a bigger colorspace. Wide gamut is a waste of time for gaming and general use, but essential for serious photo/graphics/video work. The Asus referred to above might also be wide gamut, but I doubt it. There's a big premium for wide gamut displays, a big (but reducing) premium for 4k displays and another premium for NEC quality, which is more than excellent. My 27" PA series NEC is glorious, but ironically not great for games as the refresh rates etc. aren't good - that's not what it's designed for of course. So the above comments are right, you do get what you pay for, but you won't necessarily benefit from the extra. Horses for courses as usual...

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

if i want to get one, i will have to part with 12 months pay

I purchased the Samsung 28" and returned it because of the washed out colors and the color shift due to the TN panel. I am sure the Asus panel will have the same issues. I just received the NEC EA244UHD today and will be installing it tonight. Yes, I paid an arm and a leg for it, but a monitor is a good investment. I mainly use it for photography work and not gaming. If I would wait a year or so, i'm sure there will be a 4K IPS panel for a third of the cost. I am already sold on the 4K resolution, and there is no going back. My old NEC is LCD2490WUXI and the colors on it are just amazing. I would recommend saving and going for a 4K IPS. I will post my review on the new NEC once it is installed.

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Very quick informal review of the NEC244UHD. I installed last night on a 690gtx X2 (quad SLI) using a mini displayport adapter to regular displayport. Turned everything on and Windows 7 immediately recognized the monitor and everything was operating at 4k @ 60Hz. Build quality is lower than my old NEC2490 which is much heavier and stable. On a 24" that is 16:9 format, the resolution is very unbelievable. You will have to increase your icon and text size. There were no dead pixels that I could see so I was very happy. I haven't spent much time with it, but the colors were outstanding, on a completely different level than the Samsung UHD that I returned. It produces the most crisp images I have ever seen with excellent colors. One feature that I messed with is the UHD upscaling that is built into the monitor. It performs exceptionally well but causes some gain in some low resolution images. Is it worth $1400? I would say yes for today's price. A year from now - no, more around $800. The only thing I would wish for is that it would be a 16:10 format with 2400 pixels on the Y. I am very happy with the purchase and will be keeping it. It will not replace my NEC 2490 but will compliment it greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.