Need A 100TB SSD? Nimbus Data Has You Covered With The ExaDrive DC100

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wonder how well windows would work being installed on a 100TB partition. I could install my entire steam and gog library on it all at once and still have over 50TB left. I just need $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Any rich people here who want to donate to an important cause?

yourhighness

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Pricing would be useful...and dont tell me "if you need to ask the price, you cant afford it" My company has deep pockets...I just want to know what this costs before we have to engage with sales reps and get spammed to eternity.

Mar 19, 2018
Taking an average of a few random different SSD's from well-known companies and calculating price per gb, I rounded to around .32/gb (a pretty generous estimate) comes to around $32,000.00 (US)

The SSD also comes with unlimited write endurance over a five-year warranty period, which we haven't seen since the days of SLC NAND. For reference, most competing enterprise SSDs now have a 2-5 DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) endurance rating.
That makes sense when you consider the size of the drive. With a maximum sequential write speed of 500MB/s, even if you were performing nothing but a constant stream of sequential writes to the drive, it would take more than 55 hours to fill, making it impossible to exceed around 0.43 DWPD, or less than 800 write cycles per cell over the 5-year warranty, which should be well below what 3D MLC is capable of.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Practically worth its weight in gold!

Since most of the price is NAND, one reason they don't disclose it is that they don't want to lock themselves into a fixed price while the component prices fluctuate.

Anyway, I think this product is a bit of a gimmick. It's like a SSD RAID stuck behind a SATA interface that just throttles your speed. I'd rather have its guts as separate NVMe SSDs, and hang them off my own RAID controller. Then, if one board has a failure, I can replace it myself instead of waiting for the entire drive to fail and have to replace the whole thing.

Another thing to think about is how long backups would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.