Question Need a big case

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I have a new cpu cooler to install, and my current case (dimensions 47x19x45) is too small. I'm looking for something fairly huge to upgrade to

This cooler isnt the only thing I care about though. In general its pretty cramped in there, i'd like a much bigger case for future proofing purposes.
In my office, I don't have a lot of limitations, it could be up to 61cm high, and 81cm long, width is essentially unlimited

I have no aesthetic preferences at all, featureless black box is fine. Cooling is important
Budget is essentially unlimited, ill pay extra for quality

Please recommend me something huge and awesome!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A huge full or super tower is not necessary. In fact, they actually have a caveat in that some of the fans are going to be further from the parts that need it compared to smaller models. The further air has to travel, the more time there is for it to lose strength.
These kinds of chassis are more for custom liquid - there are some real fancy looking loops in the massive ones.

An airy mid tower will serve many... but in order for anyone to recommend anything, they need a list of your:
cpu cooler
ram(tall heatspreaders and whatnot)
gpu

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Big ones in the first and third cases

specfically a deepcool as500, and a geforce RTX 3060 TI

I can always buy more powerful fans, or even bigger fans. My primary concern here is getting a much larger case. The fan for the cpu cooler is mounted directly upon it anyway

I have a new cpu cooler to install, and my current case (dimensions 47x19x45) is too small. I'm looking for something fairly huge to upgrade to

This cooler isnt the only thing I care about though. In general its pretty cramped in there, i'd like a much bigger case for future proofing purposes.
In my office, I don't have a lot of limitations, it could be up to 61cm high, and 81cm long, width is essentially unlimited

I have no aesthetic preferences at all, featureless black box is fine. Cooling is important

Fractal Design Define 7 XL

Big ones in the first and third cases

specfically a deepcool as500, and a geforce RTX 3060 TI

I can always buy more powerful fans, or even bigger fans. My primary concern here is getting a much larger case. The fan for the cpu cooler is mounted directly upon it anyway
Deepcool AS500 is a nice cooler.
It is 164mm tall so you need a case to handle that.
Air coolers need a good supply of fresh air to let them do their job.
IIt has two 140mm fans, so I would look for a case that has 2 140mm front intakes.
That is sufficient to provide air for your graphics card also,
Do you have a large number of hard drives that you need to fit?
Do you need a dvd bay?
Is your motherboard ITX,MATX or ATX?
(1 or 4 or 7 expansion slots)
Do you want to avoid RGB "bling" ?
Lian Li makes top quality cases.
I might suggest the Lian Li air mini if you do not need a dvd slot.
https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000Z-00080?quicklink=true

Reactions: Why_Me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Lancool II Mesh suggested by Why_Me is a great one.

The Define 7 XL is going to be 'big and empty' with hardware like that.

A couple of old pics, but: NH-D15S and 1080Ti Gaming OC in a Phanteks Enthoo 719. So much 'wasted' space in there, and for nothing that a good mid tower wouldn't already do - Cooler Master H500P Mesh currently in use.

I can always buy more powerful fans, or even bigger fans.
More power = more noise. Many don't run their fans at 100% because they become too audible.
Bigger is not always better. A large 200mm may cover more surface area, but they sacrifice static pressure to do that, and to get ones with higher SP, they need to be faster, which means they're going to get noisy too.

The fan for the cpu cooler is mounted directly upon it anyway
If it's really a problem - the fan is touching the ram and it's not possible to raise the fan further - it's simple enough to just mount the fan on the other side of the heatsink to pull. No harm to cooling.
For folks using NH-D15s pairing with tall ram, instead of push-push, they simply need to switch to pull-pull.

If you would like to use a chassis that supports large fans:
Fractal's Torrent supports two 180mm at the front and bottom.
Cooler Master has their H500(blank) with two 200mm at the front, and support for one 200mm at the top. Their more expensive H500M can support two 200mm, if you wanted to do that for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Full towers are unnecessary for aircooling. In fact often a detriment to the stuff inside. Getting a more powerful fan is rarely an option as a 120mm or 140mm general pc fan only has a certain amount of cfm and/or static pressure. To get a more powerful fan means moving upto a Delta class fan, which require multiple power sources and spin upto @ 8.8k rpm and are designed for server applications.

Cases are a box. That means there's a certain volume of air inside. My mITX case is less than 10L of air. A standard ATX tower is closer to 40L of air. A Full tower can be closer to 70L of air. A standard 120mm fan takes @ 2 minutes to completely cycle the air in an ATX mid tower. Takes closer to 8 minutes in a full tower. There's a reason why you can generally cram 8-12 fans in a Full Tower, it takes that many fans to equal the cycle speed of 3-4 fans in a mid tower.

Bigger is most definitely not better. And even without airflow in consideration, Full towers almost always have issues with psus. The wires simply are not long enough to reach most components, especially the EPS at the top of the motherboard, requiring extensions which can be a further issue.

Fractal Design Define R5/R6
Fractal Design Torrent
Fractal Design Meshify 2
Lian-Li Lancool series
Corsair 4000D/5000D

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022

if you need a massive case, just search for a full tower.
Cooler master have some good case, and another one is aerocool if I m not wrong with an 8 12cm fan front panel

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Aerocool doesn't build a high quality case. They build an average, mediocre at best case using the thinnest metal they can reasonably get away with and it's almost never SECC steel or even reinforced frame, the side panels give a good majority of structural strength

They go for 'futuristic', gamer looks over airflow, the fans are almost always cheap quality psu/molex powered, non speed variable, even the so called 'RGB' are nothing more than fixed led or the actual controllable fans are 6pin and only work through a propriety fan/light hub. Most hdd racks are riveted in place, non removable.

You might find an oddball design that's at least halfway decent, but the vast majority have so much plastic, that's not given to better airflow, that it's barely any better than a Dell or HP tower with full coverage front. The cases with at least some potential for airflow have single or even double dust filtration capacity, using stock mesh, not designed to enhance airflow ability, but severely retard it, just making things worse.

All in all, junk that does more harm than good, doesn't make for a pleasant building experience, isn't designed to last, yet looks pretty decent, sometimes. The only thing honestly 'Premium' about any Aerocool case I've ever seen, worked with, read pro reviews on, is the price.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Aerocool doesn't build a high quality case. They build an average, mediocre at best case using the thinnest metal they can reasonably get away with and it's almost never SECC steel or even reinforced frame, the side panels give a good majority of structural strength

They go for 'futuristic', gamer looks over airflow, the fans are almost always cheap quality psu/molex powered, non speed variable, even the so called 'RGB' are nothing more than fixed led or the actual controllable fans are 6pin and only work through a propriety fan/light hub. Most hdd racks are riveted in place, non removable.

You might find an oddball design that's at least halfway decent, but the vast majority have so much plastic, that's not given to better airflow, that it's barely any better than a Dell or HP tower with full coverage front. The cases with at least some potential for airflow have single or even double dust filtration capacity, using stock mesh, not designed to enhance airflow ability, but severely retard it, just making things worse.

All in all, junk that does more harm than good, doesn't make for a pleasant building experience, isn't designed to last, yet looks pretty decent, sometimes. The only thing honestly 'Premium' about any Aerocool case I've ever seen, worked with, read pro reviews on, is the price.
yes, I m 100% on you, but thats the point, they build 40/50$ case so it s normal that they are not high end or premium materials, is just a case that look pretty for someone with a not that bad airflow in some case