[SOLVED] Need a cooler + thermal paste recommendation

lidorc

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
hey.

Just upgraded my 2500k to a 9900k since my 2500k died.
i'm using my old cooler (schyte mugen 2 rev.b) + and an unopened arctic cooling mx-2 that i had lying around and the temps on idle are 40 +/- so i want to bring them down.
any recommendation for a good air cooler and thermal paste ? need something about the same size, possible even smaller since i don't have much room in my case.

Solution
No, the performance isn't the same. It's not a HUGE difference either, but with the 9900k I'll take any advantage I could get when it comes to thermal management. There is no such thing as "too big" or "too good" when it comes to that CPU. Considering the height limitations, these are good choices. Great choices actually. Consider the Mugen 5 to be the minimum budget option and the Macho RT to be probably the top of the pack for less than 160mm tall air cooler.

In Tweaktown's tests at least, it seems it had better overclocked full speed fan temps than even the Noctua NH-D15, so an argument could be made that it might be in the top four or five air coolers overall. That's worth 30 bucks if you ask me.

UHQN8yW.png
If your Mugen 2 fit, so should this, and it is probably the VERY best performing CPU cooler under 160mm on the market.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-12 00:58 EDT-0400

Or, the newer, much improved version of your old cooler, would also be a very good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $48.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-12 01:00 EDT-0400

Either one of these should be plenty for your CPU if you are not overclocking. If you are overclocking, then you need a bigger case with a larger cooler or a custom loop.

lidorc

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
Just remember the 9900k will probably never have the same idea temps as a 2500k. 40 isnt bad depending on ambient temps. What is your load temps?
i read online that people are getting around 30c with the i9 9900k on idle.
my load temps are usually 50-70 with spikes to 80+ on some cores. (using hwinfo to read the temps)
i bought this cpu to last me for another 8 years so it's important for me to keep it cool.

What case do you have? As to thermal paste, you can't go wrong with good all MX-4..
my case is the CoolerMaster 690 II advanced.
is there a difference between the mx-2 and mx-4 ? or is it redundant ? thought about getting the Noctua NT-H1 since i read some good things about it.

If your Mugen 2 fit, so should this, and it is probably the VERY best performing CPU cooler under 160mm on the market.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-12 00:58 EDT-0400

Or, the newer, much improved version of your old cooler, would also be a very good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $48.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-12 01:00 EDT-0400

Either one of these should be plenty for your CPU if you are not overclocking. If you are overclocking, then you need a bigger case with a larger cooler or a custom loop.
thanks for the recommendations !
there's a 30$ difference , but is the performance about the same ?
it thought about getting one of those : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html
and i never heard of the thermalright one - do you think i can get around 30 c on idle with it ?

No, the performance isn't the same. It's not a HUGE difference either, but with the 9900k I'll take any advantage I could get when it comes to thermal management. There is no such thing as "too big" or "too good" when it comes to that CPU. Considering the height limitations, these are good choices. Great choices actually. Consider the Mugen 5 to be the minimum budget option and the Macho RT to be probably the top of the pack for less than 160mm tall air cooler.

In Tweaktown's tests at least, it seems it had better overclocked full speed fan temps than even the Noctua NH-D15, so an argument could be made that it might be in the top four or five air coolers overall. That's worth 30 bucks if you ask me.

UHQN8yW.png

Reactions: vMax
Solution
As you have the mighty 9900K, I would get as good cooling as you can. Me personally a good 240mm AIO or a 280 AIO which I believe can be fitted in the top of the case. If I am wrong on whether it fits in the top...apologies. The Corsair H100/115 or even the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB which is only $65.89 at the moment, but any good AIO will do a great job. Height will never be an issue around the CPU though you will have to install to the top and you will be surprised at how quiet they can be and now a days and they are very well made.

If you want good air, then I totally agree with Darkbreeze and his whole assessment on going strong cooling for the 9900K...

On the Thermal paste side,k I believe the MX-4 is better as it has superseded MX-2 bu the Noctua NT-H1 is also very, very good.

lidorc

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
think i might get the thermalright one then , since i don't wanna mess with a liquid setup.
need to figure out if its gonna fit in my case.

thank you guys for the recommendations !