[SOLVED] Need a Driver that doesn't seem to exist

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I helped my neighbor lady install W10 on her ancient 1st gen Intel desktop PC. All went well except now her screen resolution won't go past 1280x800. She needs 1920x1080. I realize that Intel doesn't provide W10 video drivers for their old Clarkdale iGPUs, but I thought surely Microsoft would have a generic driver in W10 that would let her monitor run in its native resolution (1080p). W10 seems to have a driver for every other iGPU.
Anyway... does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get her display to show at its native res; 1080p?

Intel DH55TC Board
i3 530 with HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors
8GB RAM

Last edited:
Solution
With those specifications, I wouldn't have even run w10 as win7 or 8 will run much better on it. If she needs to connect to the Internet, then use reboot restorerx or timefrez to lock it down and use a portable browser.

Win 10 works just fine on a gen 1 core i series. I ran it with an older Xeon X3230, which is basically a Q6700, just fine. My old Asus laptop, with an i5 2430m, isn't much faster, than a desktop i3 530, runs it just fine as well.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I tried it, but not using CM. I'll do that. Thanks.

Update: unfortunately, that didn't work either.
"This computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".
Guess I'll have to give her one of my old graphic cards.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
With those specifications, I wouldn't have even run w10 as win7 or 8 will run much better on it. If she needs to connect to the Internet, then use reboot restorerx or timefrez to lock it down and use a portable browser.

Win 10 works just fine on a gen 1 core i series. I ran it with an older Xeon X3230, which is basically a Q6700, just fine. My old Asus laptop, with an i5 2430m, isn't much faster, than a desktop i3 530, runs it just fine as well.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A little update if anyone is following this thread...
I did a clean install of W10 and (like last time) Win booted to the desktop in 1080p as it should. So it must have a driver hidden somewhere. It was only after I did a Win Update last time that I apparently lost the driver it was using. So I'm going to do the updating with a gfx card in the PCIex16 slot until all is updated. Then remove it and see if the 1080p rez is still working.

OK. Working fine now at 1080p using the iGPU. Even have the little HD Graphics control panel icon in the tray. She's happy, and I'm relieved (since I'm the one that talked her into upgrading to W10).

Last edited:
I dunno, ime, win10 is a hog and a dog compared to a windows version that is 'period correct' for the machine. I've seen w10 work on core duo with 2gb of ram, but it was painful compared to xp on the same platform.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's good to hear. I wonder where its getting the driver from.

I have an i3 550 and have used it on Windows 10 before. Its usable.

An SSD is still a requirement imo.
Hi. Apparently, MS has developed a generic driver for the older iGPUs and cards still in use. I imagine that W11 will end that kind of backward compatibility tho.
I just wish I knew what caused the driver to dissapear before. I'm betting one of the Win Updates caused it.

Reactions: SamirD

logainofhades

Titan
I dunno, ime, win10 is a hog and a dog compared to a windows version that is 'period correct' for the machine. I've seen w10 work on core duo with 2gb of ram, but it was painful compared to xp on the same platform.

Yea 2gb of ram is going to be painful. But had that system had 8gb, it would have been a different story. My little Asus laptop has 8gb, and isn't even running an SSD, right now, as I took the 1tb drive, I had in my lenovo legion, and swapped it for a 1tb MX500. So the 7200rpm 1tb, went into the Asus to replace its aging 5400rpm 640gb drive. It runs just fine, for basic stuff. I mostly just use it now for trail camera photos. My x3230 also had 8gb ram.

Yea 2gb of ram is going to be painful. But had that system had 8gb, it would have been a different story. My little Asus laptop has 8gb, and isn't even running an SSD, right now, as I took the 1tb drive, I had in my lenovo legion, and swapped it for a 1tb MX500. So the 7200rpm 1tb, went into the Asus to replace its aging 5400rpm 640gb drive. It runs just fine, for basic stuff. I mostly just use it now for trail camera photos. My x3230 also had 8gb ram.
Yep, 8GB on the x64 version is pretty good for an older system. I've found that 16GB is what I need for what I do. Which is nuts because it isn't that intense.

Sep 27, 2021
I have a similar problem on my Asus N55S laptop, I need some old Intel and NVidia graphics drivers in the hope it will stop the screen flickering which goes on for about 30 minutes or so before it settles down. Unless something else causes it