Question Need a little help with HBA stuff.

Apr 28, 2024
I bought a Supermicro 9207-8i HBA from eBay a couple weeks ago. At that time I had exams ongoing so I couldn't run extensive tests, so I just plugged it into my main rig for testing the heartbeat LED and it was fine.

Now the problem today. I plugged it into another spare PC I have lying at home. But this time, the heartbeat LED did not light up. In my main rig, the card even showed up in my bios, but in the second PC it didn't even light up (even though it was getting warm, so I guess it was getting power?)

I'll try again when I put it back in my main rig to see if it works, I've contacted the seller and he's said he'll send me another if it still doesn't work.

So does anyone know what could cause this? I'll post an update within 2 days after testing it again. But idk what's wrong. The specs for both systems are given below:

Main rig (where card shows)
Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI mag b550 atx
Asus ROG RTX 3060 12gigs
2x8gb ddr4 at 3200mhz
Deepcool pm750d 750W PSU
Quite a lot of drives

Secondary PC (the problem build)
Pentium g2030
Integrated graphics
4gb ddr3 at 1600mhz
Generic H61 motherboard
Generic 450w PSU

I bought a Supermicro 9207-8i HBA from eBay a couple weeks ago. At that time I had exams ongoing so I couldn't run extensive tests, so I just plugged it into my main rig for testing the heartbeat LED and it was fine.

Now the problem today. I plugged it into another spare PC I have lying at home. But this time, the heartbeat LED did not light up. In my main rig, the card even showed up in my bios, but in the second PC it didn't even light up (even though it was getting warm, so I guess it was getting power?)

I'll try again when I put it back in my main rig to see if it works, I've contacted the seller and he's said he'll send me another if it still doesn't work.

So does anyone know what could cause this? I'll post an update within 2 days after testing it again. But idk what's wrong. The specs for both systems are given below:

Main rig (where card shows)
Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI mag b550 atx
Asus ROG RTX 3060 12gigs
2x8gb ddr4 at 3200mhz
Deepcool pm750d 750W PSU
Quite a lot of drives

Secondary PC (the problem build)
Pentium g2030
Integrated graphics
4gb ddr3 at 1600mhz
Generic H61 motherboard
Generic 450w PSU
Have you tried any other PCIe x8 or x16 cards in that computer? I have a feeling that due to age the PCIe slot might be bad.

Apr 28, 2024
Have you tried any other PCIe x8 or x16 cards in that computer? I have a feeling that due to age the PCIe slot might be bad.
In my main rig I plugged it into a x8 slot and it worked. In the second system, idk what it was. On the mobo it said x16, but the bios is legacy and very very basic, it doesn't really reveal much. That's why I wanted to know what the issue was. If I plug it back in my main system and it still doesn't respond then I guess it's dead.
I really hope it's the mobo slot that's bad.

In my main rig I plugged it into a x8 slot and it worked. In the second system, idk what it was. On the mobo it said x16, but the bios is legacy and very very basic, it doesn't really reveal much. That's why I wanted to know what the issue was. If I plug it back in my main system and it still doesn't respond then I guess it's dead.
I really hope it's the mobo slot that's bad.
Do you have a difference PCIe card lying around to try plugging into the older system? Say an old GPU.

Apr 28, 2024
Do you have a difference PCIe card lying around to try plugging into the older system? Say an old GPU.
Sadly I do not.
However I will not be using the second system for testing it again. If there was any issue with the motherboard I don't want to create further problems. I will try in my main system tomorrow and post an update here. Thanks.

Reactions: jeremyj_83

TRENDING THREADS