Need a new CPU cooler

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a CPU cooler so I can overclock my 970. So as of now my 970 is running extremely poor with my i5 2500k and my FPS in games isn't what it should be. I would like to know what I would be able to overclock my CPU to with the following CPU coolers:
- Corsair H55
- Corsair H60
- Corsair H75.
Thanks.

Any of those coolers should be fine. I can overclock my i5-2500k to 4.6GHz stable on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and I get idle temps of 33C and maximum torture test temperatures of 70C. With water cooling I would expect you to see even lower temperatures.

Evolee

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Hi

As of yesterday I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO on my i5 2500k cpu (in the process of overclocking it). Currently, I am getting 29-31 degrees in idle and 54 in load. It was an easy install and great performance for little money.

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
For example, I can play GTA V on an average FPS of 50-60 until I enter the county where it will drop it 40-ish. I cannot play with MSAA x2 unless I want to play at 20-30 FPS, so I need to play on FXAA. My graphics settings aren't even that high, so my 970 should be on max FPS while playing GTA V.

The i5-2500k is easy to keep cool with even a budget tier CPU Cooler so I can not imagine you needing more then 150W TDP dissipation from a water cooler to get excellent over clocking results. For instance I'm at 4.6GHz using a 130W TDP dissipation rated heat sink.

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a CPU cooler so I can overclock my 970

The above sentence doesn't make any sense.

Generally speaking, CPU OC'ing does not gain much in gaming performance. Maybe 5%. Tuning up your 970 with the latest drivers and MAYBE OC'ing the 970 will give you much better improvement.

Yogi

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Yeah, I misworded that. I meant to overclock my CPU. My CPU is bottlenecking my GPU and I believe that is the issue. My 970 is running extremely bad for what it is and I should be able to run any game.

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Yeah, I misworded that. I meant to overclock my CPU. My CPU is bottlenecking my GPU and I believe that is the issue. My 970 is running extremely bad for what it is and I should be able to run any game.

How do you know that the problem is the CPU? Have you checked CPU Load in Task Manager?

Don't get a water cooler. Too expensive for the amount of cooling that you get. There are a lot of posts by ppl with Corsair AIOs that are having problems setting them up or making them cool sufficiently.

If you want a good, cheap cooler, get the Cooler Master 212 EVO, as recommended above. If you want a high capacity, quiet, good quality cooler, get the Noctua NH D14.

Yogi

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I'm playing GTA V now and my CPU usage goes from 69% down to 50%. Is that correct?

I'm not surprised. With your CPU usage that low, OC'ing will gain ZERO for you. Fugetaboutit!

Which Windows are you running? Is it up to date?

What mobo do you have? Are the chipset drivers, etc. up to date?

What PSU do you have? Make and model?

Are your GPU drivers up to date?

Yogi

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would like to know what I would be able to overclock my CPU to with the following CPU coolers:
- Corsair H55
- Corsair H60
- Corsair H75.

The differences in these coolers is fairly insignificant. Most closed loop coolers that are 1x120mm aren't really sufficient to handle CPU loads at overclocked speeds and voltages. The cooling delta on them is very poor and they only are able to perform decently when the fans are running at full speed - which also means they are very loud.

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Which Windows are you running? Is it up to date? Windows 7, and yes.

What mobo do you have? Are the chipset drivers, etc. up to date? P8Z68-V and yes, it's updated

What PSU do you have? Make and model? TS XFX 550W

Are your GPU drivers up to date? Yes.

I've overclocked my CPU to 4.5GHz and I turned up my settings in GTA V up a bit and I am getting 45FPS at MSAA x2. I really don't know what the issue is now, and I need some serious help with this.

Did you use an uninstaller like DDU (LINK) to uninstall the old gfx drivers before installing the new ones?

Yogi

connorwilliams

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Yes.