Question Need a new platform and not sure about AM5

So my son's mobo has failed and I have a couple of options. One is to give him my 8700k cpu/mobo and go get a 78003dx for myself. But after doing some research on the x670e, I'm not sure if I should go that way. To me it seems like the chipset is not really ready. I can't find a whole lot of mobo reviews and the ones I find are not that promising. From issues with bios to long startup times.

Does anyone have any real world experience with AM5? The mobo's are so expensive that I'm afraid I'll be buying into AM5 too early and will experience some growing pains. On top of that the new mobos are not cheap. I dont want to drop $500 on a mobo only to want a new one when the next chipset comes out.

The other option is to keep my 8700k (still great chip) and change my son's rig to a 5800x. I can get a 5800x, decent x570 mobo, and CPU cooler for the price of a midrange x670e board. I already have the DDR4 RAM, so I wont need any new RAM.

Is it a mistake to buy into AM4 now that it is dead? Or should I go get a 5800x and let AM5 mature another gen?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have to get X670E, that has literally two X670 chipsets for a lot of additional I/O, if you are sticking with the typical GPU and some storage, no need for such a board.

B650, B650E, X670 are all options to consider.

Long boot times are a thing with AM5, that is due to the memory having such high speeds and the need to validate before booting.

You can also do a DDR4 13th gen Intel if you want to use that memory again. Or do a DDR5 Intel build.

5800X3D is still a potent chip, so I wouldn't rule it out. But a budget focused setup would probably use a 5700X.

Not sure I can recommend sticking with an 8700K, it isn't bad, but falls more in line with the entry level i5 available now.

You don't have to get X670E, that has literally two X670 chipsets for a lot of additional I/O, if you are sticking with the typical GPU and some storage, no need for such a board.

B650, B650E, X670 are all options to consider.

Long boot times are a thing with AM5, that is due to the memory having such high speeds and the need to validate before booting.

You can also do a DDR4 13th gen Intel if you want to use that memory again. Or do a DDR5 Intel build.

5800X3D is still a potent chip, so I wouldn't rule it out. But a budget focused setup would probably use a 5700X.

Not sure I can recommend sticking with an 8700K, it isn't bad, but falls more in line with the entry level i5 available now.
I want the x670e because of the I/O. I want the 5.0 speed on both the GPU and the SSD. I know it does not make a difference now and there are only a handful of crummy 5.0 drives and 4.0 is plenty for a GPU, but I've had my current rig for 6 years and I want the next one to last as long. I think I will want those options when it matters. But maybe that will be too far out.

And I game 3440x1440p and he has a 4k monitor, the 8700k is just fine pushing that many pixels. At 1080p it will make a difference.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Still limited to the interconnect between the chipsets, but I can see where you are coming from.

And Intel PCIe 5.0 support for SSDs basically doesn't exist. If you use the one PCIe 5.0 M.2 you lose half the GPU bandwidth on most boards.

But you are certainly going to be limited to 4.0 with an AM4 platform, whereas you can get PCIe 5.0 GPU with a cheap Z790 board (and some B660 and Z690 boards)

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I bought an Asus Prime X670P WiFi mobo in December 2022 and even then, it was well below the $500 dollar figure mentioned above. Both the mobo and 7950X have dropped in price since the end of last year, bu that's the cost of buying early. The downside of AM5 is the higher price/GB of DDR5 RAM.

The 7950X is faster than my old 3800X rig at video rendering, even at stock 4800MHz RAM speeds. Puget Systems benchmarks show there is very little to be gained using 6000MHz RAM in Adobe Premiere Pro, so I saved money and bought 2x32GB 4800MHz memory. I can add another 2x32GB if I need 128GB RAM.

An i9-13900K would have been 10% faster for my apps with the same GPU card according to Puget benchmarks, but at the expense of significantly higher power consumption. My 7950X pulls 180W in Handbrake (all cores) with PBO switched off. An i9-13900K would be over 200W.

I doubt if I will replace my Gen4 NVMe boot drive with a faster Gen5 version, because I don't think I'll see much benefit in my apps. The other two NVMe slots on the Asus board are useful for cache drives to speed up video processing. A PCIe 5.0 GPU would be nice, but only when the price is "affordable".

For an AMD gaming rig, I'd probably stick with AM4 and a 5800X3D, but AM5 will be more "future proof". I have a mixture of Intel and AMD rigs, so I recommend reading reviews of your intended apps/games and choose hardware accordingly.

D

Deleted member 2838871

So my son's mobo has failed and I have a couple of options. One is to give him my 8700k cpu/mobo and go get a 78003dx for myself. But after doing some research on the x670e, I'm not sure if I should go that way. To me it seems like the chipset is not really ready. I can't find a whole lot of mobo reviews and the ones I find are not that promising. From issues with bios to long startup times.

Does anyone have any real world experience with AM5?

Yeah I do. What's your questions?

The mobo's are so expensive that I'm afraid I'll be buying into AM5 too early and will experience some growing pains. On top of that the new mobos are not cheap. I dont want to drop $500 on a mobo only to want a new one when the next chipset comes out.

I already experienced the growing pains so you're good. My system blew up 3 days after I built it... CPU and board died due to the 7000 series voltage issues back in mid-April. It's since been resolved with BIOS and AGESA updates and I've had no further issues for the last 40+ days. Yes... I still recommend the platform.

I didn't pay $500 for my board... it was $300 and it's quite good.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-mag-x670e-tomahawk-wifi-review,1.html

https://me.pcmag.com/en/motherboards/17185/msi-mag-x670e-tomahawk

Is it a mistake to buy into AM4 now that it is dead? Or should I go get a 5800x and let AM5 mature another gen?

I think buying into AM4 is a mistake just like I think buying into LGA1700 is a mistake... and I had been running Intel for over 20 years. This is my first AMD build since 2001. My gut told me the time to jump ship to AMD was right now and I don't have any regrets.

I went 7950x3D for gaming and productivity. I do a lot of video work on the side and wanted the added cores in addition to the gaming power the x3D chips offer... as well as the lower power draw.

In case you can't see my sig... here's my build. Team Yellow 2023 - Final Answer

I went all in.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
One suggestion i have is to buy them all from the same place and if you have a problem, just take them all back for a refund and don't bother trying to solve it or say that you had a problem. Get your money back and buy new ones from another store. Had i done it myself, it would have spared me SO MUCH stress and anger.