Question need a new psu

pearce_pc

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
need a new psu but im not spening huge money on one.
specs
rx 580 8gb gpu (8pin pcie)
16gb ram
b350m pro motherboard
ryzen 5 1500x
1tb hdd

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, for a variety of reasons. It's from a 'manufacturer' known to produce junk.
It's rated for 34A on the 12V rail (= 408W, so does not a "550W" PSU make) and who knows if it could do 408W reliably to begin with, or under what sort of temperature scenarios it was tested/rated at.
It's also "refurbished". Nobody is putting the time/effort into truly testing and refurbishing a unit to then sell it for 30quid like the seller claims.

It's garbage, likely has zero protections. So if something goes wrong, it may well take other components down with it.

pearce_pc

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
No, for a variety of reasons. It's from a 'manufacturer' known to produce junk.
It's rated for 34A on the 12V rail (= 408W, so does not a "550W" PSU make) and who knows if it could do 408W reliably to begin with, or under what sort of temperature scenarios it was tested/rated at.
It's also "refurbished". Nobody is putting the time/effort into truly testing and refurbishing a unit to then sell it for 30quid like the seller claims.

It's garbage, likely has zero protections. So if something goes wrong, it may well take other components down with it.
okay thanks mate.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
i can go to 55 euros and im in ireland. i dont mind if its used

A PSU is one aspect that I'd be hesitant to buy used. I've done it, it can be done - but remember, you've no idea how hard it was used, you (rarely) have transferable warranty etc.

You may well find you need to replace it again in a couple of years - or worse, it's been used pretty hard and may not last at all.
I'd highly recommend pushing that budget to ~70EUR if you can, and pick up the TX550M new..... but failing that, the CX550M you linked would be fine.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX