Need a small case for new gaming PC build, wondering consequences of potentially high temps for my GPU?

nzae

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I'm looking to order all of the parts tomorrow to build my second gaming PC ever, to replace the one I made in 2014. This time I'm looking to make an HTPC build. I need my computer to be small so it can travel easier. I do a lot of traveling for college.

After a lot of discussion this is the build I came up with:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
or Noctua NH-L9i??
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4 21300)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card
Case: Silverstone - RVZ03B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I've gotten great feedback on most of the parts in the list from most of the people here at Toms Hardware besides the case, Silverstone's RVZ03B. I'm worried about the potential consquences this should have for my GPU. In your opinion should I go for larger case and sacrifice some small form factor? The next case I'd go for, the NZXT H200i is a lot larger than the Silverstone RVZ03B.

Solution
Gamers Nexus did a review of that case and temperatures were really good, better than a lot of larger tower cases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFfH7LoiwE

My only other thoughts are about the cooler and storage.

Both coolers you mentioned would be fine. The C7 would provide more cooling, but the Noctua would be quieter. However, with a locked i5, the stock cooler should be sufficient and would save you some money.

The SSD is fine, but 500GB isn't a whole lot of storage. Games can easily take up 10GB per game and when you add in Windows, things start to get cramped. You mentioned an HTPC. If you want to put movies on it, as opposed to streaming, those are easily 2-4 GB apiece. I would probably try to get an NVMe SSD as a...
I don't think it's a terrible build, but high GPU temps can and will cause GPU to throttle, which will reduce performance anyways. Honestly, I'd sacrifice the 1080 for maybe a 1070 and get it water cooled. This way, you can get the small form factor without sacrificing performance. If you are dead set on this build, just know those temps will be an issue. I know, because I have a 1080 Ti in a mini tower myself.

nzae

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion but I already have the 1080 because I'm using it in my current PC. It's the only part on that list I already own. I can't water cool in the case I listed?

My GTX 1080 Windforce OC is currently in my NZXT Phantom 410 and it gets amazing temps. approaching 50 C while under gaming load and usually less.

If yourself and others think it will be a notiable problem when playing games (I don't do VR) then I might consider getting the NZXT H200i if many think it will be better for my GPU. I want my GPU to last long and perform well.

But the NZXT H200i is a lot less compact than the Silverstone RVZ03B so it's a hard pill for me to swallow

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Gamers Nexus did a review of that case and temperatures were really good, better than a lot of larger tower cases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFfH7LoiwE

My only other thoughts are about the cooler and storage.

Both coolers you mentioned would be fine. The C7 would provide more cooling, but the Noctua would be quieter. However, with a locked i5, the stock cooler should be sufficient and would save you some money.

The SSD is fine, but 500GB isn't a whole lot of storage. Games can easily take up 10GB per game and when you add in Windows, things start to get cramped. You mentioned an HTPC. If you want to put movies on it, as opposed to streaming, those are easily 2-4 GB apiece. I would probably try to get an NVMe SSD as a boot drive and for a few games and critical applications. You could eventually add a 3.5 HDD in an enclosure for picture and video storage.

Solution

nzae

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Do you know if I could add a second drive in the case? I currnetly have a 1 TB hdd but i doubt it fits in that.

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

According to the specs, it can fit 3-4 2.5 drives. If you have some old laptop drives, those will work for the time being. But 3.5 drives don't fit. M.2 drives are nice in Mini-ITX builds because they fit directly on the board and don't really need any bays. If you already have a 3.5 drive, an external enclosure is fairly cheap, but requires a little more effort to move.

A 3.5 inch drive will fit with the windforce , over 120mm width the secondary drive bay has to be removed, this bay can carry 2 x 2.5 inch drives or 1 x 2.5/1x3.5.

That windforce is 114mm wide.

It will impact gpu temps, with it being a tri fan card I think temps,should still be acceptable.

Edit - I'm wrong , I'm thinking the rvz02 not the rvz03.

nzae

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I bought a 1TB SSD instead of the 500 so I think I will just go with one drive to keep temps best as possible. For anyone interested ill posting pics and recording temps tomorrow or the next day if parts take a bit to arrive.