Question Need a solution for switching 2 Lenovo ThinkPads to 3 monitors

Nov 15, 2021
I have a Lenovo Thunderbold Dock that supports three monitors. I use this dock with two ThinkPads. So far, I have to manually detach the USB-C cable from the currently used laptop and attach it to the other one when switching.

To solve this, I am searching for a solution. All KVM switches I found only support only 1 or 2 monitors. If you know one that supports 3 (HD) monitors, please let me know.

A potential other solution would be a USB-C switch. Kind of like a manual cable switch. Thunderbolt must be supported, of course, and with it the three monitors.
I would attach the Lenovo Thunderbold Dock to the output of that switch and the two laptops to the inputs.
Does anyone know if such a switch exists?

Nov 15, 2021
No, I found no solution. Seems to be impossible currently. Something is always missing, let it be support for 3 monitors or USB support to the dock (missing with many allegedly Thunderbold cables I found). The switcher you found sounded promising, but they already write "Please do not connect our switcher to USB-C Docking Station". I will probably buy two Thunderbolt cable extensions like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-...JJ63Q3R,B08NTCD6VQ&srpt=ELECTRONIC_CABLE&th=1

Hoping that they will support 3 monitors on HD and USB, this will make switching a bit easier. Still by hand though.

I thought I could try to build an electro-mechanical switch also, by just switching all wires from the Thunderbold cables via relays. I expect issues with the shielding. Also, it probably needs to have a delay when switching from one to the other as well and might cause issues if the wires are not disconnected or connected in sync.

Hard to believe that such a switch does not exist yet.