Question Need a suggestion of the hardware

Aug 14, 2023
Hello Guys,

I have ATT wifi setup in my home. I have the ATT router configured and placed on 1st floor. My builder has got two ethernet outlets, one on first floor and second one on 2nd floor (wired through walls). Now those two connections have plugged into ATT router.

Now my question is, I have a ethernet port (female) on second floor where I can get internet via wired if I plug into laptop/any hardware. I want to make it wireless available to second floor. May I know what device to use (connect to female ethernet port) ?

Is it a router / Mesh / Extender ?

Thanks,
Jeevan.

Technically you want a AP but AP many times cost more money because they have features like central management and stuff like power over ethernet. Very few people need those extra cost features in a home install.

Almost all modern routers have the ability to set them into AP mode. You need nothing very special since you are only going to use the radio part the router part is disabled when you run it in AP mode.

kanewolf

Titan
Technically you want a AP but AP many times cost more money because they have features like central management and stuff like power over ethernet. Very few people need those extra cost features in a home install.

Almost all modern routers have the ability to set them into AP mode. You need nothing very special since you are only going to use the radio part the router part is disabled when you run it in AP mode.
I agree. A router is usually a cheaper option. Find a good used Asus router, like an AC-68U. You get WIFI plus an ethernet switch, so you don't loose the option for wired connectivity.

TRENDING THREADS