Question need advice asap, should i upgrade my cpu?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
right now im using a ryzen 5 2600 and a rtx 2070 and a b450 tomahawk motherboard. i want to do some future proofing, and i can get a killer deal on a new ryzen 7 2700x, will i notice a difference? should i upgrade? thanks everyone.

InvalidError

Titan
Is your 2600 struggling now? Apart from the most heavily threaded games, you won't see much added benefit to a 2700X and by the time the 2700X becomes beneficial, you will likely be able to get a good deal on a 3600 or 3700(X) which will be even more future-proof than the 2700X. Depending on how long you may remain comfortable on the 2600, you may even get to upgrade to a 4700+.

With an upgrade to something based on Zen 2, at least you get clock frequency and IPC bumps that are immediately useful in all software instead of extra cores that relatively little software can make use of with a 2700X.

An upgrade you don't need immediately and will be obsolete by the time you actually need it looks more like a waste of money on hypothetical future gain than future-proofing to me. If you are going to upgrade with future-proofing in mind, at least wait until you actually need to upgrade in the first place and consider your future-proofing options from there.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Is your 2600 struggling now? Apart from the most heavily threaded games, you won't see much added benefit to a 2700X and by the time the 2700X becomes beneficial, you will likely be able to get a good deal on a 3600 or 3700(X) which will be even more future-proof than the 2700X. Depending on how long you may remain comfortable on the 2600, you may even get to upgrade to a 4700+.

With an upgrade to something based on Zen 2, at least you get clock frequency and IPC bumps that are immediately useful in all software instead of extra cores that relatively little software can make use of with a 2700X.

An upgrade you don't need immediately and will be obsolete by the time you actually need it looks more like a waste of money on hypothetical future gain than future-proofing to me. If you are going to upgrade with future-proofing in mind, at least wait until you actually need to upgrade in the first place and consider your future-proofing options from there.
actually, my 2600 is overclocked to 4.3 ghz 1.4v stable. no problems, i just wanted to future proof my rig.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Future proof? I'm still running an almost 7 year old i7-3770K that does everything I need it to. There's honestly no such thing as future proof, as fast as electronics are upgraded, tweaked, fixed, they are almost obsolete the day after tomorrow.

Keep the 2600, until the day it doesn't do what you need it to do, then upgrade. The 5600 will be out by then. Why waste $200 now?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
^To that, I'll add that some people 'just have that itch'.
The PC does everything they need it to, but they still feel the need to change something - doesn't matter what it is.
They are yet unawares(?) of the thrill of tweaking their hardware.

@packersfan036
You are in a good spot right now. You don't really need to change anything, do you?
Resist the itch~...

If nothing else, maybe build a PC and sell it for profit?

Reactions: DMAN999
Future proof? I'm still running an almost 7 year old i7-3770K that does everything I need it to. There's honestly no such thing as future proof, as fast as electronics are upgraded, tweaked, fixed, they are almost obsolete the day after tomorrow.
Ayyyye, my first build was a 3570k that I just upgraded to my current build (check my signature). When you said this it hit me right in the nostalgia of when I completed my first build and it was top of the line (for an i5) for gaming and productivity. Alas, I started to feel it struggle in games even at 4.4ghz especially when I was multitasking. Gaming + watching a vid killed my fps with the old i5. Now I can do whatever I want with the 3900x, even all at the same time.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Keep the 2600, until the day it doesn't do what you need it to do, then upgrade. The 5600 will be out by then. Why waste $200 now?

This. ^ - Up until a year ago I was gaming on an 11 year old 1090T system. PC hardware is much like buying a car off the showroom floor. The moment you park it in your driveway, it's outdated. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ayyyye, my first build was a 3570k that I just upgraded to my current build (check my signature). When you said this it hit me right in the nostalgia of when I completed my first build and it was top of the line (for an i5) for gaming and productivity. Alas, I started to feel it struggle in games even at 4.4ghz especially when I was multitasking. Gaming + watching a vid killed my fps with the old i5. Now I can do whatever I want with the 3900x, even all at the same time.
Aww snap! Same here, I started with:
3570k, 212 EVO, 2x 8GB ram, and a GTX 680 back in May of 2012. Ran it for 5 years straight, then changed all that to my current setup(also in sig).
5 years is one year too long for a single gpu, IMO, even if it was one of the top cards at the time.

Reactions: helper800
Aww snap! Same here, I started with:
3570k, 212 EVO, 2x 8GB ram, and a GTX 680 back in May of 2012. Ran it for 5 years straight, then changed all that to my current setup(also in sig).
5 years is one year too long for a single gpu, IMO, even if it was one of the top cards at the time.
I originally had a 7970 ghz edition then after 4 years I got a gtx 970. The only reason I am not using the 970 still is because my friends 290x died after 5 years of 85-95c temps.

***edit: My new build is on a CM h500m case with a Seasonic prime titanium 850w PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017

Agree people are so fast to upgrade.I bought a ryzen 5 2600 even though i knew about the 3xxx series but it was a steal.Yes i can upgrade.Should I?Hell no she does everything i need her for.