Need advice for computer upgrade

Loki414

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
First time poster looking for advice. I have roughly 250$ to spend to upgrade my computer. I play alot of online fps and mmo games. My system specs are as follows:
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1 Ghz
Motherboard- Asustek model M3A79-CM
PCI-Express x16
Memory- 8GB Corsair DDR2
Graphics- Radeon HD 4870 1 GB
500GB HD
Windows Vista 64bit
700 Watt power supply

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
That is the opposite of what I would do, but it is up to you.

Boot times for Windows 8.1 can be reduced to mere seconds. You'll barely have enough time to sip your coffee. As for gaming, you have files that are ~20GB in size and they load transition windows a little faster. Not too much benefit for gaming imo.

Loki414

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Was thinking of putting in a ssd but was unsure if my motherboard ( Asustek model M3A79-CM ) could equip one. Also I have heard some people say that if you have an intel processor go with nvidia, and if you have an amd go with ATI/Radeon. Due to compatibility issues, any truth to that?

Urbanengineer

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
That is the opposite of what I would do, but it is up to you.

Boot times for Windows 8.1 can be reduced to mere seconds. You'll barely have enough time to sip your coffee. As for gaming, you have files that are ~20GB in size and they load transition windows a little faster. Not too much benefit for gaming imo.

Solution

Loki414

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Im not sure how easy or difficult it is to transfer an os to an ssd. But i dont plan on switching my current os of Vista 64. Since i play alot of games im primarily looking for tips on how i best can increase my graphics and frames per second for under 250$. Games are coming out that I would love to play but my current config doesnt seem up to performing at the level i would like.
By the way I would like to thank everyone who has posted their ideas, much appreciated