Need advice for cooling PC.

sedona

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I got a Fractal Design Core 1000 micro-ATX casing which comes with one 120mm front intake fan. There are options for a 92mm rear exhaust fan and 120mm side panel fan. Here are my temperature readings using HWMonitor,
VkDkw9A.png

The motherboard is ASRock B75M-DGS and processor is Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5-3470, and graphics card is Radeon HD 6850 from HIS. Power supply is FSP Hexa 500, harddisk is Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue. I took this snapshot when the PC was cool with no browser (for Min values) and then ran all my applications and a game Sims 3 (for Max values). Here are my concerns:

1. The graphics card was idling at 50-54 ºC. Is this too high for this card? I got it cheap second-hand. When running Sims 3, which isn't a heavy resource game, the temperature shot up to 73 ºC and I can hear the graphics card cooling fan spinning at full speed (3400 RPM blue fan). Do I need to install a 120mm side panel fan to the casing?

2. The CPU cores were idling at 38-42 ºC on room temperature of 28 ºC. When running at full loads, the temperatures ran up to 65 ºC and the Intel stock cooling fan spinning at 3100 RPM. Do I need to buy a 3rd party CPU cooler?

3. The Fractal Design Core 1000 casing's 120mm front intake fan is running at max 1200 RPM and quite noisy. I'm thinking of getting a 7V adapter cable to bring the fan speed down and reduce the noise. But then this will affect the intake air pressure too. Should I add a 92mm rear exhaust fan? The top mounted FSP Hexa 500 power supply already has a 120mm exhaust fan, although it appears to suck in air from the CPU fan cooler into the power supply electronics.

4. Should I install the 120mm side panel fan blowing into the graphics card, or blowing out to extract the hot air? The pre-installed front intake 120mm fan is 40.6 CFM so does it matter what kind of airflow spec to choose for the side panel and rear fans?

The thing is, if I add two more case fans (rear 92mm and side panel 120mm) it would make the PC even noisier right? When I ran the system at full loads, I can hear the Intel stock cooling fan's 3100 RPM and the HD 6850 cooling fan's 3400 RPM and they are even noisier than the 120mm casing fan. What can I do to balance the need for low noise and low temperature? If I add the two fans and then step down the voltage from 12V to 7V to reduce the RPM and noise, it would defeat the purpose of adding the fans right?

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
My advice:

- First, change your CPU cooler. The stock cooler from Intel is cheap and don't performs well. Since you have a micro-ATX case, you don't have a lot of options. An Hyper 212 EVO from Coolermaster would fit tough. For 30-40$, it's a bang for your buck.

- You should fill at your fans slots. Having an exhaust with two intake fans will create a positive pressure inside your case. Plus, the side fan will blow directly on the GPU, so it will greatly lower your temps. Check on the back if you can fit a 120mm fan instead of a 92mm fan.

As for fans suggestions, Corsair fans are great. The ideal setup would be one SP fan in front and two AF fans on the side and rear.

If you have questions, feel free to ask !