[SOLVED] Need advice for running 2 GPU on CX550M for Mining

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
I'm mining with 1070 TI right now using CX550M and recently my friend wants to join me and he lends me 2 of his GPUs, one is GTX 1050 TI and the other is GTX 1060 6 GB.

I'm kinda wondering if my PSU can handle at least two of the kind GPU, I just take a look and 1070 TI uses TDP 180 W and 1060 6 GB is about 120 W, I limit the power for my current 1070 TI using MSI Afterburner to 60%.

can my PSU handle at least 1070 TI with 1060 since my motherboard has two long PCI-E slots or even all three together with an additional riser and splitter?
how about the driver, will it conflict?

I actually have another PSU Thermaltake TR2 S 500W which I think can at least handle the 1050 TI, but if I use this I need to buy another motherboard and its component since I only have 1 PC

as for the Temp, it's pretty cool actually. I have one small room with AC always turn on since it's my server room so it's always about 38 to 50 at most

Solution
  • No CX550M would be a bad idea to run both GPU's....since it's powering everything else (Mobo CPU and so on).
  • You don't need to place the cards on the motherboard.... to be mining with them (check what is riser and extender...they are cheap)...with risers and extenders you can fit as much cards as you have PCI-E slots (x1, x4,x8,x16 for your cards it doesn't matter for mining they will be fine...)
  • You don't need another configuration to run 3 GPU's (just use risers and extenders)...
  • I don't know if 3 different cards will be able to run the same driver, even thou they are the same architecture (somebody to correct me on that)
  • You can run two PSU for mining on one system but it's not recommended if you don't know what...
  • No CX550M would be a bad idea to run both GPU's....since it's powering everything else (Mobo CPU and so on).
  • You don't need to place the cards on the motherboard.... to be mining with them (check what is riser and extender...they are cheap)...with risers and extenders you can fit as much cards as you have PCI-E slots (x1, x4,x8,x16 for your cards it doesn't matter for mining they will be fine...)
  • You don't need another configuration to run 3 GPU's (just use risers and extenders)...
  • I don't know if 3 different cards will be able to run the same driver, even thou they are the same architecture (somebody to correct me on that)
  • You can run two PSU for mining on one system but it's not recommended if you don't know what are you doing.

Solution
so even the combination of 1070 TI and 1050 IT is a bad idea with CX550m?

my other component right now is :
  • Mobo: P55 1156 LGA
  • Processor: I7 870
  • RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 4 GB DDR3

You can connect everything with 1070TI with the CX550 and use the other PSU to connect 1060 and 1050Ti (connect the 6 pins and the extender power...if you have more 6 pins from TR2, use them if not use ... SATA... extenders can be powered by SATA, 4pin PSU or 6 Pin).
You just need to use adapter who is shorting the TR2 PSU 24-pin and it making it to be powered on always!

The problems I'm wondering is...i don't know what are mining and will you have enough memory for it (1050Ti)... ETH i thing you need more than 4GB so... if it has less it wont work...also I'm not sure how the system will behave with 3 different cards... Usually mining rigs are made with similar GPU's (6-8-13 cards the same ).

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
You can connect everything with 1070TI with the CX550 and use the other PSU to connect 1060 and 1050Ti (connect the 6 pins and the extender power...if you have more 6 pins from TR2, use them if not use ... SATA... extenders can be powered by SATA, 4pin PSU or 6 Pin).
You just need to use adapter who is shorting the TR2 PSU 24-pin and it making it to be powered on always!

The problems I'm wondering is...i don't know what are mining and will you have enough memory for it (1050Ti)... ETH i thing you need more than 4GB so... if it has less it wont work...also I'm not sure how the system will behave with 3 different cards... Usually mining rigs are made with similar GPU's (6-8-13 cards the same ).

I see, do you have a good PSU recommendation that can handle three of them at once?