Need advice. Much appreciated

I trashed my system while attempting to transfer everything over in a
new biggger case /lights etc. System is a Dell intel desktop board
D865vp chipset, P4 2.4g ,512m ram, Max 80G. I was clueless on
installing hardware and too stupid to do any research tutorials When
it came time to remove mb I realized there were screws under the cpu.
Didnt know best way to remove so I just unlatched it all and
proceeded on. The only thing I was informed about was a grounding
strap and I used one. The holes lined up in new case except the
processor so I drilled 4 holes and put those brass knok-offs (
whatchamacallits)in place. I wasnst sure about some of the usb front
ports as they were 7 and 10 pin plugs on dell and everything was
broken down in two and individually labeled on new case. I ran the
old dell wiring for the switches and ports just to test and make sure
I was on the right track...LOL. Power lights no display
nothing.Checked cables over and over and panicked already to late.
When I re-assempled mb and cpu I never took off heat sink and assumed
it would all line up just by reversing how I removed itvery slowly.
Seen the northbridge and with my great intelligence thought it was a
second cpu as I knew I had hyperthreading and 2 cpu's in my device
manager and could assign processes to each one... undid its release
and it did its quick little slide. Cpu had bent pins ...spent hours
trying to straighten them to end up breaking two of them. Had them
real close a couple of times except on pin that had a piggly wiggly
tail. If finances wasnt an issue I wouldnt be writing this nor would
I of spent well over ten hours trying to straighten pins with my
blind eyes.
Is there anyway to test mb without cpu as I know I may have..I forget
the term..tweaked it causing stress crack(s). I may have I know i
shorted it out underneath grounding it out on the whatchamacallits
4x, although there isnt/wasnt any evidence of such like smells ,
burns, explosions.
I simply cannot afford to buy cpu , then mb and possible ram etc.
Especially individually. What are your thoughts advice will be
greatly appreciated. If i go mb and cpu bundle route I think I am
going to lose bigtime in terms of memory bus (which I think is
relavent to speed big time but I dont know Im the guy who did the
aforementioned. I simply cant or better yet, really dont want to wait
until I can spend more $. I should note I dont get down with games
such as quake. Online card games music, try to learn a new program
everynow and then. Often check my resources and mem is
nearly always high 90 % free so maybe I really dont need as fast of
ram as what I had. I think I need more though. Always do. Thx!

==============

SNIP
I think you're better off buying a ready built pc.

"whomenotme" <busaninja@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
< snip >

In 50 words or fewer, what problem are you trying to solve?

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

here is some advice. if you don't have money to replace parts don't mess
with your only computer. You already broke the cpu pins so it is useless.
The motherboard is probably dead too

"whomenotme" <busaninja@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I trashed my system while attempting to transfer everything over in a
> new biggger case /lights etc. System is a Dell intel desktop board
[snip]

No problem. Just wanted cool case. Thx 4 advice.

==============

shawk

"whomenotme" <busaninja@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I trashed my system while attempting to transfer everything over in a
> new biggger case /lights etc.

Snipped

> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Sir, please put down the screwdriver and step away from the computer. Keep
your hands where we can see them. Please answer the following question
carefully....... is this a serious post? Shaun

Yes it was serious to me anyway. I have only been on computers for a
little over a year and never really did any hardware stuff.And it was
not my only computer but it was my primary and the only one that i
kept total access to myself.
If nothing else I learned a few things.

==============

Weeellll, at least the CPU and mb are toasted... CPU pins and mb when you
drilled those holes and then most likely fried it by shortening it out on
distances placed "wherever"....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"whomenotme" <busaninja@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> kirjoitti viestissä
> Yes it was serious to me anyway. I have only been on computers for a
> little over a year and never really did any hardware stuff.And it was
> not my only computer but it was my primary and the only one that i
> kept total access to myself.
> If nothing else I learned a few things.

troubleshooting newsgroups.

To clarify the holes were not drilled in the motherboard but the case
plate.