Need advice on a new gpu

ehall8702

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
I currently have a msi r9 270x in my old gaming rig. It's an ASRock fma85x extreme4, a10 6700, cooler master 240mm aio water cooler,16gb(2x8gb) adata xpg ddr3 1600, 900watt antec ( Hcg-900) psu, 500gb SSD, and 3 160gb in raid . I want to upgrade my GPU to something with 4gb and that is significantly better than my current card. IDK if I would have a bottleneck with my current setup or not, and if it's even worth upgrading my card. I don't have the funds to replace CPU/Mobo/ram right now. I was even thinking about crossfire with another 270x but that's more because it'd look really cool than about performance . I'd more be buying a used card off eBay. Rough budget is $100, found a Rx 560 4gb oc for about that. Kind of prefer amd ( case is a Tt amd edition) but not a requirement. Any help would be awesome since GPU boss doesn't make it a clear answer for me.

Solution

Crossfire/SLI just doesn't scale that well. In more games than you would like, two 270x GPUs will be comparable to...one 270xGPU. And...

ehall8702

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Also, I'm not a hardcore gamer, get a few hours a week in on Titanfall 2, nfs rivals, and borderlands 2 . Still want to be able to play most games if they catch my attention I want my rig to be able to run a newer title at at least the higher side of a "medium" setting.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-560-vs-AMD-R9-270X/3926vs2188
the 560 is slower than what you have now. were you looking to upgrade or add to? the card you have is roughly the equal to a 1050ti. if you were to game on the 270x, and have the side monitors connected to the 560, this would take workload off the 270x.

you should be able to update your posts
click on the blue (update this) next to the report icon in the bottom corner of the post.

ehall8702

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
The Apu has an hd8560 ( I think , not sure) could I run my side monitors off of the onboarding Apu and game off the 270x? I barely use 6gb of ram during regular use, I can allot 2gb to the apu's GPU and run the side monitors? Also is it even worth upgrading my GPU with my current setup? And idk if I should upgrade or add honestly , can get a matching msi r9 270x 2gb oc for $65 but kind of what I'm asking is will that be a good way to go or am I better to get a newer GPU? I have plenty psu to crossfire, and it looks sweet on top of that. What would a pair of 270x in crossfire be equivalent to?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
crossfire and SLI are fading out. if you have games that can take advantage, sure.
you are nearing the limits of what the (platform) GPU and CPU can handle, a faster GPU will limit the CPU and a new CPU is a big expense.
you could add the second card, there is no law that says you must crossfire, run the side monitors off the new card.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Crossfire/SLI just doesn't scale that well. In more games than you would like, two 270x GPUs will be comparable to...one 270xGPU. And even when it does work, you'll start to be limited by the RAM. Given the age of your platform, I think I'd rather be $100 closer to my next platform upgrade rather than trying to squeeze out a small GPU upgrade.

Solution

ehall8702

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
That's what I really wanted to hear, not worth any more money into it. I'll worry about it when it can't do what I want it to do anymore. My extra money will go twords a new cam for one of my four-wheelers. Thanks guys for the help, this site has always helped me get the answers I need.