Question Need advice on a new graphics card

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
So I recently noticed that my GPU is bottlenecking my CPU (Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GHz) pretty severely. I don't have the money yet but I am willing to go up to around $800-$900 for a new one. One of my questions is that my current graphics card is an ATI Radeon RX 580 Series which is a GDDR5. I am wanting to get a GDDR6 of some sort. With my motherboard (Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) (U3E1)) which has PCI-E 3.0 would I get full performance out of a card that is made for PCI-E 4.0? How high can I go with a PCI-E 3.0? - (I do know they are backwards compatible)

So I need some GPU suggestions (preferably from amazon). I would like to get at least 8 GB VRAM which is what I currently have. I am looking at this one right now: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...rk-platinum-and-black/6465789.p?skuId=6465789

Also, it is my understanding that most GPU's use PCI-E sand it is backwards compatible, so could I take my current GPU (the one to replace) and put it in my really old desktop (10 years old) that has a GDDR2 or something graphics card and would it help with that computer's performance?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (3-4 months) BUDGET RANGE: (up to $800 (preferably less)) Before Rebates - No overclocking - 4k monitor and 1440 monitor (2 monitors) - Looking to play Diablo 4 mainly when it comes out. I just need 4k 60fps or so.

Where did the guide go for the best graphics cards for the money?

Thanks!

Multyspeed

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2015
I think with 800-900$ you can go with 3080.
Im with 9700k and 3070ti and its fine. PCI-e 3.0 is fine for the 30xx series cards.
You can put your RX 580 in your old system but PCI-e 2.0 will nottleneck it for sure.

eazen

BANNED
Nov 17, 2022
In 3-4 months? RX 7900 XT will start at about 100$ extra, that’s way more powerful than anything at 800 or less today. So that’s my recommendation.

So I recently noticed that my GPU is bottlenecking my CPU (Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GHz) pretty severely. I don't have the money yet but I am willing to go up to around $800-$900 for a new one. One of my questions is that my current graphics card is an ATI Radeon RX 580 Series which is a GDDR5. I am wanting to get a GDDR6 of some sort. With my motherboard (Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) (U3E1)) which has PCI-E 3.0 would I get full performance out of a card that is made for PCI-E 4.0? How high can I go with a PCI-E 3.0? - (I do know they are backwards compatible)

So I need some GPU suggestions (preferably from amazon). I would like to get at least 8 GB VRAM which is what I currently have. I am looking at this one right now: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...rk-platinum-and-black/6465789.p?skuId=6465789

Also, it is my understanding that most GPU's use PCI-E sand it is backwards compatible, so could I take my current GPU (the one to replace) and put it in my really old desktop (10 years old) that has a GDDR2 or something graphics card and would it help with that computer's performance?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (3-4 months) BUDGET RANGE: (up to $800 (preferably less)) Before Rebates - No overclocking - 4k monitor and 1440 monitor (2 monitors) - Looking to play Diablo 4 mainly when it comes out. I just need 4k 60fps or so.

Where did the guide go for the best graphics cards for the money?

Thanks!
What is the make and model of your psu and how old is it?

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
In 3-4 months? RX 7900 XT will start at about 100$ extra, that’s way more powerful than anything at 800 or less today. So that’s my recommendation.

Is this taking into consideration that my MB has PCI-E 3.0 - once again I'm not sure what the bottleneck will be with the 3.0

I think my PSU is a thermaltake 650 Watt of some sort. It's almost 5 years old now. I would have to open my case up to see it.

Thanks

eazen

BANNED
Nov 17, 2022
Is this taking into consideration that my MB has PCI-E 3.0 - once again I'm not sure what the bottleneck will be with the 3.0

I think my PSU is a thermaltake 650 Watt of some sort. It's almost 5 years old now. I would have to open my case up to see it.

Thanks
Recently TPU did a test on the 4090 with PCIE 3.0 vs 4.0 and the perf difference was minimal, that’s all I can say about it, expecting it to be somewhat similar with new Radeons. The important thing to know is, the more vram you have the less is the communication between CPU and GPU, and the 7900 has 24 GB. So yeah.

PSU on the other hand could be not enough, you could test it first and then replace it if the PC is unstable. The issue is not the pure wattage but power spikes that are very high with modern GPUs since 2020.

PS. I wanna add, this setup is only recommendable for 4K gaming with that CPU. Otherwise you’re going into a CPU bottleneck. Generally only buy a high end gpu if you plan to use very high graphical settings. Otherwise you can simply save money and opt for something else instead. I would not buy an old high end card now, they are all outdated now. The mid range wasn’t replaced yet, so that’s where I would look as a alternative.

Last edited:

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
PS. I wanna add, this setup is only recommendable for 4K gaming with that CPU. Otherwise you’re going into a CPU bottleneck. Generally only buy a high end gpu if you plan to use very high graphical settings. Otherwise you can simply save money and opt for something else instead. I would not buy an old high end card now, they are all outdated now. The mid range wasn’t replaced yet, so that’s where I would look as a alternative.

Ok, could you give me an example of a mid range? Would that be like the 3070 Ti that I was originally looking at? Would a GDDR6 card with say 6 GB of VRAM peform better than my current GDDR5 with 8 GB of VRAM?

Thanks

eazen

BANNED
Nov 17, 2022
Ok, could you give me an example of a mid range? Would that be like the 3070 Ti that I was originally looking at? Would a GDDR6 card with say 6 GB of VRAM peform better than my current GDDR5 with 8 GB of VRAM?

Thanks
Yes, you should consider all these cards, 3060 Ti up to 3070 Ti, consider that 3070 Ti isn’t that much faster than 3060 Ti but costs a lot more. They use the same chip, with a bit deactivated in the 3060 Ti.
6700 XT is also a great alternative. My recommendation is the 3060 Ti if you care about “ray tracing” and otherwise the 6700 XT if you do not. Really just best bang for money recommendations, the most sensible choices.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Yes, you should consider all these cards, 3060 Ti up to 3070 Ti, consider that 3070 Ti isn’t that much faster than 3060 Ti but costs a lot more. They use the same chip, with a bit deactivated in the 3060 Ti.
6700 XT is also a great alternative. My recommendation is the 3060 Ti if you care about “ray tracing” and otherwise the 6700 XT if you do not. Really just best bang for money recommendations, the most sensible choices.

Ok. Thanks! I'll look into the 6700 XT. I thought there was a list somewhere here that had the best bang for your buck cards type thing.