Need advice on airflow and fans

ByteccodeX

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hello everyone, need a little help, I've had this gaming rig since march (GTX 760 ASUS, FX 8320, CM 412s, PSU Thermaltake Berlin 630W, Gigabyte 970A-UD3P mobo) and so far temperatures have been good enough, but I thought it was better to improve airflow in my Enermax Ostrog case. Went from
Ck3KgsC.jpg
to
rH5mW0L.jpg
so I guess I have done a good job. (I had to push a bit the other side's panel to close it as some cables, mainly the 24pin one were kinda fat, also as you can see I've torn apart the heatsink from my ballistix elite to fit the cooler and just left the black pcb). Anything you would suggest to make this airflow better? Also, I really would like some tips about how many fans should I get. I currently have only one coolcox exhaust fan that came with the case and NOTHING else. I was thinking of getting a 120mm intake on the front, an exhaust on the top facing the RAM (but wouldn't that conflict with the cpu heatsink intake fan?) , an intake one near the exhaust one I just said to cool the heatsink even more (again, wouldn't that conflict with the exhaust I have on the back?) and an intake one on the left side to cool the gpu even more. Now, two of these fans (the ones up top) HAVE TO be blue-LED lit, don't care about the others. What would you suggest? I was thinking of the CM BladeMaster for the gpu-near intake one, absolutely no clue about led lit fans. Don't bother about silence or noise much, need high performance here.

Awaiting answers :)

g-unit1111

Titan
I'd heavily suggest cleaning up some of those cables and routing them behind the motherboard tray - that will make adding new components easier and will also improve your air flow and reduce heat consumption. If you don't have any twist ties those will come in handy as well to further consolidate the cables and free up space.

ByteccodeX

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
But what do I reroute? I have already cleaned up everything possible.
BTW, I think the airflow should be like this (read a cooling 101 on tom's or something like that). Cold air comes in from the front with a 120mm fan that cools HDD bay and part of the mobo; it comes in also from the side or the bottom with another 120mm fan that is either way going to cool a bit of the GPU. Hot air will then come out on the rear part with a 120mm fan, one I'm using right now, and then two other exhaust LED-lit fans that will keep both the RAM, mobo and hot air coming from the heatsink cool. (reaching 50 °C while gaming on RAMs, never should have taken that freaking heatsink away from the RAM! will just put a good fan onto it).

ByteccodeX

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I would tweak it, first off I cannot install two 140mm fans on the front but just one 120mm, also I really need a top exhaust fan to be on top of the rams so I can add that. But does the top exhaust in front of the cooler really do anything? The heatsink doesn't emit much heat. Also will put a lateral intake to cool GPU so I have 3 out and 2 in. I can never remember what's better, more in or out. Now could anyone please suggest good blue led fans for top exhaust? For the front intake I will use the fan I have now on the CPU heatsink and I was thinking of using two blademasters to both cool the GPU on the side and as a fan for my heatsink.

g-unit1111

Titan

A self built PC should look like this:

9e62823d-b4dc-4bae-8e0c-30247d43633d.jpg

The goal is to have as few cables visible as possible. This is actually my own personal rig that I'm showing the photo of. The idea is that the cables in your case disrupt the airflow.

ByteccodeX

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
So, the case is getting much cleaner, I have already hidden the GPU cable and bought an extension for my atx12v cable so that it can pass under the mobo as well.
Now, onto the fans. For the one on the front as I said I'll just get the one I have on the cooler right now and get a blademaster for the heatsink. Lateral: I want to get cold air in, is another blademaster alright or overkill?
For the top I need some led lit fans, I've seen the enermax tb apollish and the aerocool shark. Anything you can suggest? I will need a fan with good static resistance or something like that because one of them will face the heatsink directly.

ByteccodeX

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
So I've done some searching and reached this results. Two CM JetFlo blue led (120mm) on the top for exhaust (very high cfm and static pressure good enough, will help on the cooler), one blademaster on the cooler (huuuge static pressure so that's optimal for the heatsink), the standard case fan on the back, the cpu heatsink fan on the front for intake (I think this fan will be enough as the front fan won't require any special feature i guess), and in incognito remains the lateral fan, that of course will be an intake. What do you suggest to avoid any conflict with the GPU's cooling?

ByteccodeX

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Up? I choose another jetflo for the lateral because it has a better static pressure and cfm than the arctic f12 I chose for just a couple of bucks more. But won't the static pressure conflict with somethink on the GPU? I mean, are all the fans I chose okay?
I know I shouldn't say this especially on a forum, but it's extremely urgent for me to know a reply.