[SOLVED] Need advice on an a system upgrade

sreeve29

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Current system is as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.20 gigahertz AMD FX -4350 Quad-Core
192 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: 151260485103574
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 2603 06/26/2015

32668 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 8192 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 8192 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 8192 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 8192 MB

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue is that when I get a lot of applications going, the system bogs down.
When I trim away a couple of applications, it goes back to normal.

Any recommendations to upgrade MB/CPU/RAM for around $400 to $500?

My initial thought is something like this:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X CPU
  • Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 RAM

Should I consider going to 64GB RAM?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Thank you for the quick response.

Based on your answer, it makes me wonder if I should just upgrade the CPU only, i.e. the fastest AM3+ CPU (like the FX-8350).

And yes, when the system has gotten bogged down, I have many times checked task manager and RAM usage was always in the vicinity of 50% of the 32.

You could try bumping up to an FX 8 series part - it really depends on why the processor is getting 'bogged down' - if it is just down to having lots of things open then an FX 8350 would be a nice upgrade. That said, if any of your application are reliant on the per core performance of the processor then the FX 8350 is no faster than the 4350 on a per core basis. So for example, a single threaded task like MP3 encoding would...
Current system is as follows:

4.20 gigahertz AMD FX -4350 Quad-Core
192 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: 151260485103574
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 2603 06/26/2015

32668 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 8192 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 8192 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 8192 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 8192 MB

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)

Issue is that when I get a lot of applications going, the system bogs down.
When I trim away a couple of applications, it goes back to normal.

Any recommendations to upgrade MB/CPU/RAM for around $400 to $500?

My initial thought is something like this:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X CPU
  • Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 RAM
Should I consider going to 64GB RAM?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Moving from a 4350 to a 2600X will be a huge upgrade. With regard to how much ram you need, 32gb is plenty for most uses, it does somewhat depend what it is you are running though.

The best way to ascertain if ram is the issue is to open up task manager and look at ram usage in the performance tab - if you ram isn't full then adding more won't help. I do pretty heavy 3D cad work and rendering tasks and 32gb is fine for that type of work, with multiple web browser tabs and a music player running in the background so I would be surprised if you needed more but worth checking. I think the reality is your cpu is the limit, and the AM4 platform is a good bet to move to as it's got a huge range of cpu's you can upgrade to if required (although I think 6 cores / 12 threads should be plenty for most uses).

sreeve29

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Moving from a 4350 to a 2600X will be a huge upgrade. With regard to how much ram you need, 32gb is plenty for most uses, it does somewhat depend what it is you are running though.

The best way to ascertain if ram is the issue is to open up task manager and look at ram usage in the performance tab - if you ram isn't full then adding more won't help. I do pretty heavy 3D cad work and rendering tasks and 32gb is fine for that type of work, with multiple web browser tabs and a music player running in the background so I would be surprised if you needed more but worth checking. I think the reality is your cpu is the limit, and the AM4 platform is a good bet to move to as it's got a huge range of cpu's you can upgrade to if required (although I think 6 cores / 12 threads should be plenty for most uses).

Based on your answer, it makes me wonder if I should just upgrade the CPU only, i.e. the fastest AM3+ CPU (like the FX-8350).

And yes, when the system has gotten bogged down, I have many times checked task manager and RAM usage was always in the vicinity of 50% of the 32.

You could try bumping up to an FX 8 series part - it really depends on why the processor is getting 'bogged down' - if it is just down to having lots of things open then an FX 8350 would be a nice upgrade. That said, if any of your application are reliant on the per core performance of the processor then the FX 8350 is no faster than the 4350 on a per core basis. So for example, a single threaded task like MP3 encoding would perform the same, however an 8350 has twice the threads to handle more tabs in a web browser and such.

That is where Ryzen is a big improvement, the per core performance of say a 2600X is easily 50 to 60% faster than any FX series part. I went from an 8320 to a first gen Ryzen 5 1600 and the jump in performance was very noticeable.

Solution