Question Need advice on building a PC with my wife

Apr 3, 2024
Hi all,

The wife and I in a few months are going to be building her very first desktop PC as she has gotten into a ton of gaming. This is not my first computer build, but we figured it could be a fun experience to make the build together. The reason we don't build right now is because we are about to move so its not a rush. I also figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some help since my skills might be a little rusty and I may have missed something. I have not gotten around to cross checking my desired items with Newegg/ others sites, but plan to do so come close to use placing an order. Hopefully my parts work well together, please let me know your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: probably close to September 2024

Budget Range: ~$1500 (flexible)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS, GPU (plan to use my RTX 3080 when I upgrade)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg, not to picky.

Parts Preferences: sticking with intel for CPU, and Nvidia for GPU, all other parts/brands I'm not picky about

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 165 hz, and eventually a 2k monitor

Additional Comments: would like most items to be pink or white if possible

additionally this is what we put together so far: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2DLA29DXGF49J/ref=nav_wishlist_lists_2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

parts we have

MSI Geforce RTX 3080 gaming trio 10g
https://nexcelbahrain.com/product/geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-trio-10g/ ] 3080 picture and details

Razer Huntsman tkl keyboard pink
Keyboard

Razer Naga X (wired)
Razer Naga X

monitor 1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088VMY23M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1]Sceptre 1920x1080 165 hz monitor

Monitor 2
Samsung Monitor

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Something like this perhaps;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 LiveMixer ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO 10G GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Apevia Prism Elite ATX Mid Tower Case ($111.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX PX-850 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1176.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-03 15:00 EDT-0400

Few words.

CPU
i5-13600K is plenty for gaming build and doesn't require BIOS update either. There is 14th gen Intel as well but it may require BIOS update. So, to avoid possible complication, put in 13th gen CPU.

CPU cooler
There are few pink coolers but the pink air cooler (Vetroo V5, amazon) may not be sufficient to cool i5-13600K, so, put in the king of air coolers, in white variant with ARGB fans.

MoBo
Most MoBos are black. Some are black with white heatsinks. No pink MoBos. But did find one with purple theme and it should fit the build theme. After all, purple is darker shade pink. :)
MoBo image:

4d9abd3483b1d19ec3e66f7783bad649.1600.jpg

RAM
2x 16GB, DDR5, 6000 MT/s Corsair with white heatsinks and ARGB on top. There is no pink heatsink when it comes to DDR5 RAM, so white heatsink will do.

SSD
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB with heatsink. Best PCI-E 4.0 SSD out there. And while heatsink does have some red accents, M.2 drive itself is small and can easily hide inside the PC, without being seen.

GPU
Your MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio. Put in as a placeholder while marked as "purchased".

PC case
Since choosing a PC case is personal choice, feel free to switch it out. Put put in Apevia PC case that looks more of a fishbowl than PC case. Also, it already comes with 7x pre-installed ARGB fans, so, you don't need to buy additional fans.
PC case image:

51GPJz3rUQL.jpg

PSU
Seasonic Vertex PX-850. One of the best Seasonic units, supports ATX 3.0 and PCI-E 5.0 off the bat. Also, 80+ Platinum efficiency, 12 years of warranty and fully-modular cables. 850W unit is enough to deal with RTX 3080 transient power spikes and is also enough to power up to RTX 4070 Ti Super. For RTX 4080 / Super, 1kW PSU is needed and for RTX 4090, 1.6kW PSU is needed.

This build above leaves quite a bit free money, which i can use up, refining the build by adding more performance/storage space. But as it stands currently, it is enough for your needs and it doesn't have to be more powerful (but it can be).