Question Need advice on laptop with HDMI 2.0b to external monitor, over 60 FPS ?

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me on this issue (see title).
I had purchased a laptop back in January. At the time, I was only looking at price and graphics card as the main choice. And ROG Strix G513RS was my final purchase. Being a noob on display, I didn't look at the available connections. The laptop has a HDMI 2.0b and USB C, 1 Gb network port, 2 USB 3 ports. My display is at 165 Hz max. I then found out recently that if I plug my laptop via the HDMI 2.0b port to a monitor with HDMI 2.1 port, I may only get 60 fps max.

My queries are:

1) I have read that I may need a two way cable, HDMI to DP 1.4. I am not quite sure what that means exactly about the "two way" thingy. But will HDMI to DP cable work with my laptop and 2K monitor with DP 1.4?

2) I also read that I can use a USB-C to DP1.4 cable. Will I need to install driver for this to work? I mean how the laptop know to send video signal via USB-C to the DP 1.4 port of the monitor?
I am a complete noob on this topic. Many many thanks for your advice in advance. Thanks.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
If your laptop supports video from UsbC port then that's the way to go. Don't need to install drivers as it's plug and play.

See here and input fields. https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/
Thank you very much for your quick response and thank you for the link. That is so informative. But I have another noob question. How do I know if my laptop supports video from the USB-C port? I mean I don't see any information as such on the official webiste. I also found out that the model that I have purchased is in fact two years old!!! Am I correct to assume that there is no such video support from the USB-C port back then? Or do I have to look for any update from the manufacturer's support website for such updates? Many thanks in advance.

Thank you very much for your quick response and thank you for the link. That is so informative. But I have another noob question. How do I know if my laptop supports video from the USB-C port? I mean I don't see any information as such on the official webiste. I also found out that the model that I have purchased is in fact two years old!!! Am I correct to assume that there is no such video support from the USB-C port back then? Or do I have to look for any update from the manufacturer's support website for such updates? Many thanks in advance.
If it doesn't say it supports video then it probably doesn't. If it supports only Gen 1 speed for USB transfer, then it usually doesn't support video either.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Look here and point to your laptop.

They all say for IO ports 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C support DisplayPort™ / power delivery / G-SYNC anyway so i think you'll be fine.

Reactions: Alexoferith

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Look here and point to your laptop.

They all say for IO ports 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C support DisplayPort™ / power delivery / G-SYNC anyway so i think you'll be fine.
Thank you very much for your explanation as I didn't quite understand that when i saw it. Thank you again for your help. Many many thanks again.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem man, i can understand the confusion like usb and displayport.. like what? UsbC is pretty much displayport with a different shaped connector these days to put it simply.

let us know how you go.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This is not good advice to give because I have a 3 USB-C ports on my desktop computer and none of them support any alt-modes.

USB-C only defines a connector. It does not define protocols that the connector must support.

Fair point. It was a continuation of what was discussed previously and OP knows the difference. Should have said it differently for others.