[SOLVED] Need advice on modernizing home WiFi for Gigabit

Apr 29, 2020
I have recently ditched Comcast 100 Mbps service and upgraded to AT&T Gigabit fiber. My current home network is not really up to the task and never has been great since I moved into this house about five years ago. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on an optimal setup along with equipment ideas.
I've included links to my floor plan:
This house is an old ranch style home. The basement buildout is fairly new however.
I have an Arris BGW210 provided by AT&T at one end of the house on the main level. The room it is in is directly above an unfinished storage area in the basement, a portion of which is completely encased in cinder blocks (weird I know). I have run CAT5 from the Arris into my office in the basement that is on that same side of the house (though closer to the center). This CAT5 runs into a Netgear R6400. I have the following equipment hardwired via 8 port TP-Link switch:
  • Synology NAS
  • Arlo camera base
  • Samsung Smartthings hub
In the basement, I have the following devices connected via WiFi:
  • Wireless printer (room next to router)
  • Roku TV (room next to router about 40-50 ft away)
  • nVidia Shield (room at the other end of the basement)
  • 3 laptops
On the main level, I have the following devices connected via WiFi:
  • TV w Chromecast (other end of the house from the Arris)
  • 2 laptops
Prior to moving to Gigabit, I have the router setup for a 2.5Ghz network and a 5Ghz network. Good coverage in the basement but fairly poor and inconsistent upstairs along with frequent drops.
Once I installed Gigabit and the Arris, I've experimented with the following setups:
  • Arris set to IP Passthrough and connected via Ethernet to R6400 which provides 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz networks. Didn't get great results this way.
  • I've now set up the Arris as the router and a 5Ghz network and have set the R6400 as an AP w a 5Ghz network (I had to ditch the 2.5Ghz as I discovered the Arlo base was causing major interference). Much better results, which is not really what I expected. Initially I saw problems w the Arris 5Ghz interfering w the R6400 5Ghz but changed the channel on one and now don't see any problems.
I have tested my speed at the Arris and am consistently seeing 950+ Mbps so I feel pretty confident in the speed coming into my house.
Here's what I am seeing speedwise throughout the house:
  • 350-500 Mbps on a MBA sitting next to R6400.
  • 75-200 Mbps on the nVidia Shield at the other end of the basement
  • < 25 Mbps most places upstairs except for in the room w the Arris.
I'd be happy with 100+ Mbps in those spots far from the router but I'm nowhere near that. I'm trying to figure out my best setup to resolve all this. I've set myself a budget of about $500 and probably won't be able to do much Ethernet in the rest of the house.
I'm wondering about the following setups:
  • Eero Pro (3 pack) with one connected to Arris, 2nd one where R6400 is connected to the first one via CAT5, and 3rd one upstairs halfway to the other end of the house.
  • Similar setup with Google Nest (1 router and 2 AP)
  • Unifi Dream Machine in basement where R6400 is, connected via CAT5 to Arris and a UniFi FlexHD AP upstairs.
I'm intrigued by the UDM as I suspect it will be more reliable and I'm generally technical enough to take advantage of many of its features.

Love to get input on how I should be thinking about this. Or maybe I'm overthinking this. Thanks!

Solution
I would highly highly recommend an ethernet backhaul or MOCA backhaul for whatever wifi system you go with. Mesh systems work fine for low bandwidth applications, like watching youtube or surfing the internet. But terrible for high bandwidth applications like a game console downloading a massive 100GB update. Ethernet or Moca backhaul solves those bandwidth issues, but gives you the flexibility of roaming well between access points.

Your house does not seem hard to run a single ethernet wire from upstairs to downstairs since you have an unfinished portion in your basement. Just buy a flex shank drill bit (https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Tool-ESP75054-Installer-54-Inch/dp/B00W9SIYXQ ) and a wall bracket...

Ralston18

Titan
Not familiar with the UDM and will need to defer to others.

Important concept being that anyone interested will be able to take a look at the Specifications, Data Sheet, and Quick Start Guide.

Everyone literally on the same page(s) so to speak

It helps to get a sense of technical aspects vs "Marketing Speak".

The dependency on Chrome (for example) is a "no go" for me. That is just personal to some extent.

From the Quick Start Guide:
  • Web Browser: Google Chrome (Other browsers may have limited functionality)
  • IMPORTANT: We strongly recommend using UPS backup and power regulation to prevent equipment damage due to stability issues with local AC power.

I would highly highly recommend an ethernet backhaul or MOCA backhaul for whatever wifi system you go with. Mesh systems work fine for low bandwidth applications, like watching youtube or surfing the internet. But terrible for high bandwidth applications like a game console downloading a massive 100GB update. Ethernet or Moca backhaul solves those bandwidth issues, but gives you the flexibility of roaming well between access points.

Your house does not seem hard to run a single ethernet wire from upstairs to downstairs since you have an unfinished portion in your basement. Just buy a flex shank drill bit (https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Tool-ESP75054-Installer-54-Inch/dp/B00W9SIYXQ ) and a wall bracket (https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Voltage-Mounting-Bracket-Banana/dp/B00GTUR2OM ). Cut a hole in your wall, with some drywall you can just use a razor blade, and drill a hole down into your basement underneath.

If you want to be ghetto about it, just drill a hole straight down through the floor. Typically if you have a closet that's above the unfinished portion of your basement you can drill a hole down through the corner of the closet where no one will really see it.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Yep. I'm thinking the 4x4 connection between UDM and AP should be superior to the other systems. Thoughts?
I don't have a UDM, but I am familiar with it. I have a UniFI system with the USG-Pro for my router. The UDM didn't exist when I purchased my Ubiquiti equipment.
I wouldn't recommend a wireless backhaul to another AP. It will work, but it is not how UniFI works best. If you really want Ubiquiti and "mesh" then look at the AmpliFI system rather than the UniFI systems.
If you have any other UniFI questions feel free to ask. I have 3 APs and 6 switches all UniFI, in addition to the USG.