Question Need advice on Processor

Apr 27, 2019
Need help upgrading g my son's gaming g PC. Below is what came with the PC purchase. I upgraded to the MSI 2070 graphic card, 1000 watt power supply. We also added 24gb of DDR3 Ripjaw ram. My son wants a better processor but this is where I am stumped. Do I have to upgrade the motherboard and ram also or can I just update the AMD processor?
AMD FX 6300/8GB/1TB/GT710/W10H

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Holy bottleneck Batman!

If you are within the return period, send the RAM back. If this rig is simply for gaming I would look to a new motherboard, new DDR4 RAM, and an Intel 8xxx or 9xxx i5 processor.

If you cannot return the RAM, in theory you may be able to upgrade the processor to a number of (slightly better) outdated and obsolete models. It would really be akin to burning money at this point. I would suggest, for that option, to get the model of your motherboard and look at the compatibility chart for the various CPU it will support.

Reactions: Shydogglv

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your best possible upgrade is the FX 8370E and a cpu cooler to get some OC. I'd be looking on ebay for used cpus. Don't spend too much, it's an outdated platform, but good enough to get 60fps in many games that aren't the brand new AAA titles.

Apr 27, 2019
Your best possible upgrade is the FX 8370E and a cpu cooler to get some OC. I'd be looking on ebay for used cpus. Don't spend too much, it's an outdated platform, but good enough to get 60fps in many games that aren't the brand new AAA titles.
I just picked up a ryzen 7 2600 processor and 2-8gb sticks of vengeance ddr4 ram. Guessing I will have to update the motherboard too?

Reactions: punkncat