Question Need advice on Setup?Config

Aug 10, 2022
I have 3 Wifi Routers.

Asus ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000
Asus RT-AC5300
Asus RP-AC1900

Both upstairs and downstairs I have Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modems as I need hard wired speed/reliability in both locations.

What that leaves me with is 2 gateways. I tried an AIMesh but it doesnt seem to utilize both connections properly

Simply Speaking, what is the best config for this setup using this hardware? Should I stick to an AIMesh or use one as an Access Point?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have 3 Wifi Routers.

Asus ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000
Asus RT-AC5300
Asus RP-AC1900

Both upstairs and downstairs I have Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modems as I need hard wired speed/reliability in both locations.

What that leaves me with is 2 gateways. I tried an AIMesh but it doesnt seem to utilize both connections properly

Simply Speaking, what is the best config for this setup using this hardware? Should I stick to an AIMesh or use one as an Access Point?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
You have two separate DNS's "gateways" due to two different modems, set one modem into bridge and it will duplicate the primary modems dns links

Not sure how you got the ISP to allow that. Most allow only 1 cable modem per house and even when they do most times they want 2 monthly fees.

If you have 2 cable modems this is the same as you and your neighbor trying to share data. The networks are completely isolated and it will take massive work to fix.

Best option is to use 1 cable modem, 1 router and run the rest of the wifi devices as AP. To connect between the floors get MoCA adapters and place one on each floor. I assume you did this because you do not have ethernet cable between the floors. The moca devices will take the place of a ethernet cable.

Aug 10, 2022
Not sure how you got the ISP to allow that. Most allow only 1 cable modem per house and even when they do most times they want 2 monthly fees.

If you have 2 cable modems this is the same as you and your neighbor trying to share data. The networks are completely isolated and it will take massive work to fix.

Best option is to use 1 cable modem, 1 router and run the rest of the wifi devices as AP. To connect between the floors get MoCA adapters and place one on each floor. I assume you did this because you do not have ethernet cable between the floors. The moca devices will take the place of a ethernet cable.

I certainly did not expect to get two separate WAN IPs, but I did and here I am. I do need ethernet speed and reliability in both locations as stated. Wiring is all set, I do not need to complicate it by adding a MoCA.

What I am trying to do is determine the best configuration for the 3 wifi routers I have. I was thinking just set up two wifi networks, not the best option, but at the moment not sure how else to config it

I am not sure what you are asking then.

Run them as 2 completely separate networks just as if these where in different houses.

You will have no ability to share file or have communication between the machine on the 2 different networks. The 2 networks will of course be able to see other machines on the same network and be able to use the internet they are connected to.

Any attempt to make it one network is going to run into all the same problems as if you attempted to do this to your neighbors house.

Aug 10, 2022
I guess what I was trying to figure out is if this could be more of a backhaul setup. If there is a way to make this two gateway setup into a sigular network so I can utilize the speed/reliability of ethernet at both locations which are at opposite sides of the house.

Do you think the only solution is to set them up as two separate wifi networks? Is AP or AIMesh an option?

There is not simple way to set this up that I know of. You would need stuff like dual wan router or something and then link the 2 connections via wifi would be very inefficient.

I don't know. This is like asking I want to combine my network with the network in the neighbors house.

If you really want to do this I still think you should drop the second connection and then use the coax wire with moca so you have 1 network.

Reactions: white.a.drew
I guess what I was trying to figure out is if this could be more of a backhaul setup. If there is a way to make this two gateway setup into a sigular network so I can utilize the speed/reliability of ethernet at both locations which are at opposite sides of the house.

Do you think the only solution is to set them up as two separate wifi networks? Is AP or AIMesh an option?
There is not simple way to set this up that I know of. You would need stuff like dual wan router or something and then link the 2 connections via wifi would be very inefficient.

I don't know. This is like asking I want to combine my network with the network in the neighbors house.

If you really want to do this I still think you should drop the second connection and then use the coax wire with moca so you have 1 network.
I still say this sounds like it would be easy using one modem/router I'm bridge mode which just duplicates the main system.