[SOLVED] Need advice on speaker upgrade

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
I have been using a Logitech Z333 2.1 computer speakers for over 3 years. It has served me well over the years, or at least so I thought. I never knew better because I just didn't know, then by accident, a freak of Bluetooth connected my PC to my TV soundbar in my home office. Now, I have a TV in my home office for watching some steaming stuff and some news, its not a fancy setup. The TV itself is a local big-chain department store brand (yes exactly as you are thinking), and the soundbar is one of those basic ones you often get for a small sum of money on Black Friday. In other words, this setup did not cost me a fortune, more like a good meal or two. So imagine my surprise when I was blown away by the richness of the sound coming from the soundbar. This completely opened my eyes:

• it dispelled the myth that I had been led to believe (by Logitech!) that it is "better" to use a computer speaker for a computer because it is optimized for that application. I mean that soundbar was optimized for being sold in a hurry, and it sounded tons better than my "computer optimized" Logitech speaker.
  • it also dispelled the myth that you get richer bass with the subwoofer. If anything, the soundbar had richer bass.
  • finally, I am now no longer convinced 2.1 is the way to go. More on this below.

One thing that really discourages me from upgrading anything on my PC is the super unbelievable mess of wires and duct tape, glue, screws, cable ties, dust bunnies, dead rats, that live behind the computer unit. It's hard to describe, but let me just say that I spend a good portion of my life trying to avoid any task thar requires opening up anything or disconnecting (or connecting anything). I know this is a problem to be solved, but not today. The reason I bring this up is that I am open to wired speakers and wireless speakers (I prefer wired so I don't have to keep recharging the batteries), but either way I much prefer the actual connection to the PC to be wireless if possible. In other words, I can connect the speakers to each other or the wall socket easily enough, but I would much rather not have to connect them physically to the computer. This is especially so if there is a subwoofer. My current setup is 2.1 so it does have a subwoofer, and moving it out of the way each time I need to reach behind is a huge pain (again really hard to describe without pictures, but believe me on this). If I must have a subwoofer, then at the very least, it should not be any larger than the current one because there will be simply no space to put it anywhere.
My question is, assuming have somewhere between $200-$400 to spend, is there a good set of speakers that I can buy that will truly give good quality sound output? I am NOT an audiophile, so any really high precision stuff will completely be lost on me, and I don't care for that stuff anyway, my hearing is only so-so. The only reason I am considering this as I've mentioned is the revelation I got from hearing the soundbar outperform the Logitech so significantly. I am open to using non-computer speakers.

So basically I am looking for:
  • under $400 preferably
  • much higher quality than my current Logitech Z333 2.1
  • does not need subwoofer necessarily (although if it does need it, then a small one)
  • either speakers or a 2.1 soundbar (or 2.0 soundbar)
  • connects to the wall outlet so doesn't need batteries
  • but preferably connects to the PC through wireless. In fact, if the subwoofer can be wireless then it can be any size since I can put it somewhere else in the room

I have looked everywhere online, but do not see a good answer to this, does anyone have a recommendation or at least point me in the right direction?

Solution
You could get some entry level bookshelf speakers from Polk Audio or Klipsch. Something between $100 to $200 per speaker. You'll also need an amp... In the world of "better" audio, you'll want to buy your system in parts (buy the speakers separate from the amp, etc.).

The only issue with that is that "normal" speakers are meant for more "far" field listening distance. So you might actually want to look into self powered Monitor Speakers. Those are meant to be listened to from a few feet away instead of ten feet away. And since they have an amp built into them, you don't need to buy a separate amp. The only issue with Monitor Speakers is that they are very flat in their frequency response because they are meant for audio mastering...

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
You could get some entry level bookshelf speakers from Polk Audio or Klipsch. Something between $100 to $200 per speaker. You'll also need an amp... In the world of "better" audio, you'll want to buy your system in parts (buy the speakers separate from the amp, etc.).

The only issue with that is that "normal" speakers are meant for more "far" field listening distance. So you might actually want to look into self powered Monitor Speakers. Those are meant to be listened to from a few feet away instead of ten feet away. And since they have an amp built into them, you don't need to buy a separate amp. The only issue with Monitor Speakers is that they are very flat in their frequency response because they are meant for audio mastering. "Normal" speakers have a bit warmer frequency response meant for more pleasant listening.

Getting wireless needlessly inflates the cost at the expense of sound quality. I can't really make more specific recommendations.

Solution