Build Advice Need advice on upgrade

Oct 28, 2023
Hello there,

I'll try to cut it short but detailed.

Current build:

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 650 Gold
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming , using latest BIOS.
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
RAM: DDR4 @3200 16GB TeamGroup
GPU: XFX RX 580 8GB

I've identified 3 scenarios.

A, AM5 full rebuild - but this would be done over a couple months to see lower mid/high tier motherboard prices, maybe CPU and GPU too.
(Or buy an entry mobo/CPU/RAM bundle and ride with my GPU for months.)

B, Add a GPU and have it bottlenecked by motherboard and CPU - potential GPUs would be, assuming my PSU could still handle it.
  • RX 6700XT £280 May have the best value here in terms of longevity and best raw performance.
  • RTX 3060 £235 Significantly cheaper.
  • RTX 4060 £264 Much newer.
These are brand new prices, but I'm willing to look at 2nd hand market. And still need some advice which would I pick with longevity as priority.

C, Add a GPU AND CPU (Ryzen 5 5600) and likely waste the CPU price - £85 - as I plan to rebuild around Black Friday next year the latest.

I mainly play looter-shooters and FPS games in 1080p likes of The Division 2 and BF2042 and. Sometimes Civ 6, but wanna step up to 1440p as soon as I can. There are no new releases until Q2 2024 I'm surely willing to play. I'm not in rush, but as can be seen I would be really happy with B or C.

Budget is around 400 GBP.

Opinions and suggestion?

IF you "plan" to rebuild as soon as next year, then there is only ONE upgrade to the platform that makes any sense and that's the graphics card because that can always be moved from platform to platform or system to system. Aside from that, there is NOTHING that makes sense to spend money on if you're doing it again next year.

Reactions: geofelt
What is your objective?
Do you have a budget?
In what way is your current setup not doing the job?

Your 1700 processor is not the fastest.
As a simple check,
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Oct 28, 2023
IF you "plan" to rebuild as soon as next year, then there is only ONE upgrade to the platform that makes any sense and that's the graphics card because that can always be moved from platform to platform or system to system. Aside from that, there is NOTHING that makes sense to spend money on if you're doing it again next year.
Hey, thanks for the input. Yes, that was my go-to option to only get a GPU now, but wanted to see if others may see the CPU upgrade or the early invest worthy. I'll likely take this path.

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Personally, I would go option A. If you can't afford all the parts now, save up & keep your eye on sales & specials which a lot of online businesses seem to do nearly all the time these days.

I still think the 5800X3D would be a relevant CPU for atleast 3 years. So just upgrade the bios and get the 5800X3D for CPU. it would definitely give 100+ fps even in the most demanding games if its not bottlenecked by the GPU.

As for the GPU, minimum is 6750XT, 7800XT ideal. But i realise that fitting both within 400 quid wont be possible. But this would be the best case scenario and 'bang for buck' option .

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
100% 6700xt or 6750xt a 7800xt with its 16gb of vram would be the better of the 3 just more expensive ..

then a bit later update the bios slap the 5800x3d in there an you have yourself a solid system for a few years no doubt !!

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Makes no sense at all to spend ~320 dollars on a CPU if you're going to replace the whole platform next year, unless you know FOR A FACT that you have a buyer for that CPU when the time comes to upgrade.

What MIGHT make sense is if you can find something like a 5600G, used, for very cheap, or even buy one new as they are running about 120 bucks, and then you could likely easily resell the entire existing platform at that time to help offset the cost of the new platform. Compared to your existing 1700x, even something like the 5600G gives you like about a 52% increase in single core performance and about a 27% increase in multithreaded performance, which is a pretty damn good jump in performance for just a 120 dollar upgrade. And with the addition of a more powerful graphics card, the overall bump in performance would probably be substantial, without the full cost associated with upgrading the entire platform right this moment.

In my opinion, you have three options: First, get a 5800X3D and save for a new GPU, Second, get a GPU towards the top of your budget and save for a 5800X3D, Third, get both a 5600-5700 CPU used and a 6700 - 6800 GPU used. I would personally do the second option if you are getting a 1440p monitor over a new CPU next. At 1440p the 1700x wont hold you back as much as the 580 GPU.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
I would have said the same, but OP mentioned he could afford 400 GBP for now. Hence my suggestion of 5800X3D now n save up for a poper gpu later.

Keep in mind that 1440p upgrade means OP also has to get a 2k monitor. So it's not just the GPU...