Question Thread Title: Laptop Network Issues – Slow Connection and Difficulties Connecting

Oct 1, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out for help regarding some persistent network issues I'm facing with my laptop. I use Windows 10 and am currently developing a project called MyHomeworkify, so a stable and fast internet connection is crucial for my work.

Here’s a summary of the issues:

1. Connection Attempts: My laptop connects to the Wi-Fi network, but it often takes multiple attempts. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect several times before it finally establishes a stable connection.
  2. Slow Internet Speed: Even when I am connected, the internet speed is considerably slow. This affects my ability to work effectively, especially when I need to download libraries, upload files, or use cloud services.
  3. Driver Updates: I’ve ensured that my network drivers are updated to the latest version. I checked through Device Manager, and everything seems up to date.
  4. Network Troubleshooter: I’ve run the built-in Windows network troubleshooter, but it hasn’t resolved the issues. It sometimes suggests that there are problems with the DNS settings, but I’m not sure how to proceed with that.
  5. Other Devices: Interestingly, other devices (phones, tablets, etc.) on the same network have no connectivity issues. This seems to be isolated to my laptop.

Potential Solutions Considered:​

• I’m wondering if using some external hardware could help improve my situation. For instance:
    • USB Wi-Fi Adapter: Would a higher-quality USB Wi-Fi adapter provide a better connection than my laptop’s built-in adapter?
    • Wi-Fi Range Extender: If my laptop struggles with distance from the router, would a range extender improve the signal?
    • Ethernet Connection: If possible, I might connect my laptop directly to the router via Ethernet. However, my workspace is set up in a way that might make this inconvenient.

Request for Help:​

• Suggestions: I would appreciate any advice or troubleshooting steps you could recommend. If anyone has faced similar issues and found a solution, your insights would be invaluable.
  • Hardware Recommendations: If using external hardware is a good route to take, please share any specific product recommendations or brands that have worked well for you.
I’m really looking to resolve these issues as soon as possible, as they’re hindering my productivity on MyHomeworkify. Thank you in advance for your help!