Question Need advice on upgrades

Justinquast

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hey I'm looking to upgrade either my computer's processor or graphics card for Christmas or if I find some good cyber Monday deals.

My current cpu and gpu are:
CPU: i56402p 2.8ghz
GPU: RX 480 4GB
Motherboard: MSI b150m bazooka motherboard

I know I posted this thread under the CPU section but if you think my graphics card would be a better option than that works also.
I'm looking to not spend over $300.
Thank you.

Justinquast

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
What is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?
What is currently holding you back?
Main usage, screen resolution and refresh rate?
The PSU is 600 watts.
I'm a gamer so that is my main usage. I would just like to be able to run games at higher settings, especially with new games and technology coming out since I built this a while ago.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The PSU is 600 watts.
Yes but what make and model is it? And what about the rest of your system spec?

I'm a gamer so that is my main usage
Monitor resolution and refresh rate?

it's important because both of these items can dictate what would be the best items to upgrade. SFor example, you don't want to upgrade your GPU if you have a poor quality PSU behind it, or if your monitor can't utilise the capability of the new GPU.

What is currently limiting you? As different games use different components in different ways, so if you play mostly GPU intensive games, a GPU upgrade is usually more appropriate, and the adverse for CPU intensive games.

All in all it's a dated chipset so you may be limited in some ways, but it does depend.