Need advice on upgrading my pc.

mcfcdaniel

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hi all, I had made another thread but I didn't word it as well as I would have liked so I will try again but this time being a little more specific.

My system currently is as follows:
Intel i7 4790k cpu
Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard
16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 CL10 1600Mhz RAM
2x MSI GTX 970 4G
Corsair RM1000 PSU 80+ gold modular
NZXT Phantom full atx
CPU cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2

The reason I am starting this thread is that my pc is obviously starting to struggle to deliver a smooth ultra graphics experience in 1440, it's more noticeable in some games than others like Rise of The Tomb Raider which gets horrible to play in large open areas, since I am a stickler for graphics and smooth performance this is something I can't live with and will have to remedy by means of an upgrade but I am also toying with the idea of making a new build and scavenging any parts from this one that may get the job done.

Now since I am not as in the loop as I should be in regards to components, compatibility etc, what I would like to ask is what would you guys suggest? I am leaning towards a 1080 SLI setup, obviously the 970's struggle to get the job done so they will be replaced, will I get any bottleneck from my i7 4790k or other components if I get these 1080's and if so, what should I replace and with what? Do I need a new motherboard and RAM? I have a budget to do this which will be around 3000 dollars (if needs be). All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

mcfcdaniel

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply man, appreciated, now I won't be upgrading until April or so when I return to work from a winter break so hopefully by then we will know more about the 1080 TI (if there will be one) so that could be an option. The other thing I am thinking of doing is getting a better CPU cooler, specifically a watercooled one, I was thinking of the Corsair H80i v2.

mcfcdaniel

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I could do a single Titan X pascal I suppose but those things have a brutal price, I have time to wait and see what happens with the 1080 TI so being patient may be a benefit. heavyartillary9, I was looking at a simmilar package to upgrade but with the 6850k cpu. Am I going to see any noticeable difference buying those parts instead of just getting new graphics cards?

wernstar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Get a 1070 or 1080. My MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X runs almost 2000Mhz on the GPU right of the box, paired with a i5 4690Kat stock speed and 16GB MEM, nothing has yet proven itself too hard for it @1440P.

Like the above comment, get Pascal Titan or wait for the 1080TI if you need more power.

mcfcdaniel

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Okay, the consensus indicates that a new gtx card is the way to go here, sounds good to me, I have time on my hands and won't be upgrading until the first quarter of 2017 so that gives me ample time to find the right graphics card, but it will either be a 1080, 1080 TI (if they materialize) or the Titan x pascal, the rest of the build still has life in it so I will hold off on upgrading the rest until it really needs to be done. Thanks for the guidance guys, I appreciate it.