Need advice on what to upgrade on already decent build

Droseofc

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
I have the means of upgrade a component on my system but am unsure of which will show the biggest change. The current setup is:

Intel i7-7700K
Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme
16GB G. Skills RGB 3200
240GB M.2 BPX, 3TB HDD, 1GB SSD Crucial
Thermaltake RIING 240 Watercooler
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 650W PSU
Thermaltake Overseer Full Case
Acer Predator XB271HU
Asrock Z170 OC Formula
Various fans throughout
Oculus Rift setup

I could upgrade the GPU, or the CPU, or any of the others. I just dont know which would show the best results. If I were to upgrade to a 1080ti or upgrade the i7 to a higher one or even preorder one of the lower i9s they have coming out. I could tidy up the hard drives/ssds and get a 2tb ssd, but no improvement performance wise and they get ridiculous after 1TB, plus I dont need to.

The PSU appears as if it is low watts, but I rarely reach half of the watts and normally rest at 170W usage, according to the monitor my UPS came with. I could upgrade motherboard but would have to make sure most, if not all parts are compatible for the switch plus figure out if that would give any performance improvements or does it just provide the current port capabilities for todays parts.

So, I'd at least like to think I have a decent setup, on a decent setup what can be upgraded for best noticeable results?

Solution
Since your build is already high-end, there's not much you can upgrade.

For GPU upgrade, you can go for GTX 1080 Ti or Titan Xp.

For CPU upgrade, you'll need new MoBo. Core i9 CPUs use LGA2066 CPU socket and you'll need X299 chipset MoBo for them. Oh, new Windows license too if you're running Win OS.

As far as best results go, it depends what you do with your PC. If you mostly game on it, GPU upgrade would help the most. If you use your PC for work (e.g video rendering, number crunching etc) then better CPU and more RAM would help.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since your build is already high-end, there's not much you can upgrade.

For GPU upgrade, you can go for GTX 1080 Ti or Titan Xp.

For CPU upgrade, you'll need new MoBo. Core i9 CPUs use LGA2066 CPU socket and you'll need X299 chipset MoBo for them. Oh, new Windows license too if you're running Win OS.

As far as best results go, it depends what you do with your PC. If you mostly game on it, GPU upgrade would help the most. If you use your PC for work (e.g video rendering, number crunching etc) then better CPU and more RAM would help.

Solution

Droseofc

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

Thats kind of what I was thinking but wasn't sure. So theres not a whole lot to do that would show a huge amount of results unless I were to upgrade to a X299 so that I could upgrade pretty much the entire build, such as cpu to i9, gpu to 1080ti, etc? I use the pc for working and gaming, with neither one really above the other.

My Windows license is connected to my Windows login, so that would be no issue, just requiring to sign in really, but thats besides the point but do appreciate that you pointed it out. Besides benchmark results, theres no single upgrade I could currently do that would create a "wow" effect?

More ram, probably wont notice, cpu I don't know because this is the highest I've went, and gpu same thing but looking at benchmarks, even though the ti does excel in every category, I am thinking I wouldn't be able to visually tell myself?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 1080 Ti will give performance boost over GTX 1080 but i don't think there's going to be "wow" effect,
comparison: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/3603vs3918

Though, Titan Xp would give the highest boost since it's the best GPU in the world (it also comes with a nice price tag),
comparison: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-Nvidia-Titan-Xp/3603vsm265423

When you go with X299 chipset then you don't have to go with Core i9 CPU. At current tests, i7-7820X is better overall than i9-7920X,
comparison: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7920X-pre-release-sample-vs-Intel-Core--i7-7820X/m278103vs3928

You'd get insanely better multi-core performance with i7-7820X CPU,
comparison: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core--i7-7820X/3647vs3928

Though, if you have time to wait, look what future brings. Nvidia is soon to release it's Volta line of GPUs. AMD is coming out with it's Vega line of GPUs. Also, AMD's Ryzen 9 series CPUs may offer competition to Intel's LGA2066 socket CPUs. Though, at current date, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X falls short from i7-7820X,
comparison: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X-vs-Intel-Core--i7-7820X/3916vs3928

Droseofc

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

I was looking at motherboard and the i7-7820x and am contemplating. It would be roughly the same price as getting the 1080ti but with much more improvements, I think. So now I am juggling between that or doing a water cooling system for my current build. I just do not think with this case, Thermaltake Overseer, there are many options besides AIO. If you know, which I am assuming you do because you seem very knowledgeable, but do the reservoirs that are made to fit in the 5.25" space work for all cases that have that spot?

I did the configuration on EKWB website, and I put all of the information I have in which gave results for what appears would have to be placed outside the case. Here is the results it gave. This case has two holes on the back that the Thermaltake states its for LWC system, where would they be going out the back to?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The reservoir you picked out uses 2x 5.25" drive bays and as far as i know, those fit to any case that has at least 2x 5.25" drive bays.

If you go with 240mm rad at the top then it leaves a lot of open air at the top of your case. Here's a pic that shows in red box how much space 240mm rad uses,
image:
Thermaltake_Overseer_RX-I_Case_Top_Fan_Mounts.jpg

As far as the two round holes at the back of the case goes, those are meant for water tubes of external water cooling loop. Nowadays, most people use internal water cooling loops and it's a rare sight to see external water cooling loop. Though, case makers still add those round holes just in case. Also, you can use them to reroute cables from inside your build to the outside.

Here's one such build with external water cooling loop,
image:
127114318469.jpg

It's up to you to decide if you go with better GPU, better CPU-MoBo combo or build custom made water cooling loop inside your PC.

Droseofc

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

Man, you are awesome! Picture matches the posts for sure! Like, you tha man. Anyways, That second pic with the tubes out the back I am not even sure they have a graphic card in or what, no way to fit anything there with the zotac, but the 5.25 bays are a good possibility. I have been looking at x299 boards, and seen asrock announcing a oc formula version. Though, can only find like a handful of x299 boards that can be bought currently so thinking about waiting til more become available or oc formula is released.

I've been looking at alphacool, xspc, ekwb and googling too, but not sure which are better than others or if there even is an elite type/company to go with. I just do not want to end up the guy with a leaky water cooler as Ive seen horror stories. Any certain brands or sites you have experience with or have heard about?

Right now I have radiator on top, its a 240 thermaltake AIO. It is mounted under that top bracket you have in the picture, so red box just other side of surface. On the top I have two 180mm fans blowing out, and on the radiator itself mounted underneath I have two EKWB EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120 blowing up into radiator attempting what I gather push pull meant. If its not please let me know lol, but other than that if you have any recommendations please let me know anytime. you are super helpful, make me feel like I should be paying for this. Should I?

Droseofc

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

Man, you are awesome! Picture matches the posts for sure! Like, you tha man. Anyways, That second pic with the tubes out the back I am not even sure they have a graphic card in or what, no way to fit anything there with the zotac, but the 5.25 bays are a good possibility. I have been looking at x299 boards, and seen asrock announcing a oc formula version. Though, can only find like a handful of x299 boards that can be bought currently so thinking about waiting til more become available or oc formula is released.

I've been looking at alphacool, xspc, ekwb and googling too, but not sure which are better than others or if there even is an elite type/company to go with. I just do not want to end up the guy with a leaky water cooler as Ive seen horror stories. Any certain brands or sites you have experience with or have heard about?

Right now I have radiator on top, its a 240 thermaltake AIO. It is mounted under that top bracket you have in the picture, so red box just other side of surface. On the top I have two 180mm fans blowing out, and on the radiator itself mounted underneath I have two EKWB EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120 blowing up into radiator attempting what I gather push pull meant. If its not please let me know lol, but other than that if you have any recommendations please let me know anytime. you are super helpful, make me feel like I should be paying for this. Should I?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In the external water cooling loop sample picture, there is a single slot GPU in the PC.

My knowledge about custom made water cooling loops is limited and i don't know much about them. Hence why i can't suggest you which brand would be the best to go for.
While custom made water cooling loop looks fancy, it's also quite a bit of work building it. All my PCs are using air cooling and while it doesn't look as fancy as colored tubing/water in custom water cooling loop, i have a lot less maintenance and the best part, i have no leakage risks.
You can check out all my 3 PCs from my signature. There you'll find full system specs, pics and some description about each of my PC.

As far as push-pull on AIO rad goes, only benefit over push or pull (2 fans, instead of 4) is that you can have less fan noise. On maintenance standpoint, it's best when you use pull configuration.
Here's short video where Linus explains the pros and cons between push, pull and push-pull configurations,
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk

Though, if i were you, i'd switch out the fancy looking Thermaltake case and go with a case that gives me more flexibility inside the PC while improving eyecandy.
E.g Corsair 760T,
white, specs: http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/graphite-series-760t-arctic-white-full-tower-windowed-case
black, specs: http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/graphite-series-760t-full-tower-windowed-case
video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLOt8h8-kNY

or Corsair 780T
white, specs: http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/graphite-series-780t-white-full-tower-pc-case
black, specs: http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/graphite-series-780t-full-tower-pc-case
video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIyPeXUfFKE

With Corsair full-tower ATX case, you can have:
* modular 3.5" and 2.5" drive cages (you can buy more drive cages to install up to 12x 3.5" or 2.5" drives)
* separate modular 2.5" drive bays (760T: 3x; 780T: 4x)
* external 5.25" drive bays (760T: 3x; 780T: 2x)
* far better support for rads (front: 280mm, top: 360mm)
* better support for case fans (760T: 6x 140mm and 1x 120mm; 780T: 5x 140mm and 2x 120mm)
* built-in fan controller (760T: 4 channel, 2 speed; 780T: 4 channel, 3 speed)
* more smoother exterior looks
* huge side window to see clearly inside the case
* hinged and easy to remove side panels for interior work
* plenty of spare parts that you can order from Corsair when needed

As far as paying me for my advice and knowledge, it's up to you.