Question Need advice on which GPU to pick

CursedRat

Reputable
Sep 30, 2020
Hi all!

I'm going all out to make a new build currently. I know that the 50 series are coming out, but im planning probably to skip the 50th generation.

Currently im mostly gaming 1080p/1440p and im wondering between a RTX 4090 and a RX 7900 XTX, which would fit best considering im not aiming at 4k gaming?

The only reason i'm really thinking of going for the RX 7900 XTX is because the price is so much smaller for it. Unfortunately i have not had a Radeon card in ages... my last 3-4 GPU's were all NVidia and im a bit scared if it will fit my needs or if i will hit any issues.

From what i hear, if you want bang for the buck its RX 7900 XTX , but i hear overall performance of the RTX 4090 is insane to often pass on, especially if you want future stability. I'm not really looking to ever go to 4k for the moment, i do have a 4k Monitor i mostly use for work as it makes the texts and images much nicer to look at.

Sorry if the question is dumb or weird... i'm just in a standstill, mostly because im scared to buy a Radeon card for some reason. I don't really like to tweak temps, clocks, curves etc.. i just like to buy and for it to work decently out of the box, and everyone is saying if i buy a 7900 XTX i would need to tweak it.

logainofhades

Titan
I have had an RX 6800 for over 3yrs and never tweaked anything, and have never had an issue with it. The 4090 is without a doubt a beast of a card, and faster than the 7900xtx, but not nearly twice the price faster.

Average_1080p-p.webp

Average_1440p-p.webp

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hi all!

I'm going all out to make a new build currently. I know that the 50 series are coming out, but im planning probably to skip the 50th generation.

Currently im mostly gaming 1080p/1440p and im wondering between a RTX 4090 and a RX 7900 XTX, which would fit best considering im not aiming at 4k gaming?

The only reason i'm really thinking of going for the RX 7900 XTX is because the price is so much smaller for it. Unfortunately i have not had a Radeon card in ages... my last 3-4 GPU's were all NVidia and im a bit scared if it will fit my needs or if i will hit any issues.

From what i hear, if you want bang for the buck its RX 7900 XTX , but i hear overall performance of the RTX 4090 is insane to often pass on, especially if you want future stability. I'm not really looking to ever go to 4k for the moment, i do have a 4k Monitor i mostly use for work as it makes the texts and images much nicer to look at.

Sorry if the question is dumb or weird... i'm just in a standstill, mostly because im scared to buy a Radeon card for some reason. I don't really like to tweak temps, clocks, curves etc.. i just like to buy and for it to work decently out of the box, and everyone is saying if i buy a 7900 XTX i would need to tweak it.
Hey there,

Well, firstly, can you list your PC specs? KNowing that would make a recommendation a lot easier.

I think both of those cards will certainly give you what you want, but so would a RTX 4080 Super.

What is the primary purpose for the machine? I'm assuming gaming?

CursedRat

Reputable
Sep 30, 2020
Hey there,

Well, firstly, can you list your PC specs? KNowing that would make a recommendation a lot easier.

I think both of those cards will certainly give you what you want, but so would a RTX 4080 Super.

What is the primary purpose for the machine? I'm assuming gaming?

Case: Lian Li Lancool III
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X(will be upgrading in future, but this will be for now)
Mobo: ASRock B650M Pro RS
RAM: 2x16GB DDR5 6000 G.SKILL Flare X5 AMD EXPO

I guess those are the most important parts, i do have a CPU Cooler i bought im not using stong im using a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 5

I'm mainly gaming. I do play a lot of " competitive " type FPS/Third-person shooters with my buddies on a 1080p and often on my 2k monitor i play more cinematic games. I'm really only trying to acheive high FPSs in games, i know that.. im under utilizing both video cards if i dont strive 4k or that my CPU could be better, but im all aware of that and for the moment i wish to go this route if possible.

Thanks for taking your time to advise me! :)

EDIT: I believe if i switch to RX 7900 XTX i could instead get a AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D as CPU as it will give me overhead. But if i go down the RTX 4090 i will have to use the 5 7600X for a bit.

Last edited:

CursedRat

Reputable
Sep 30, 2020
I have had an RX 6800 for over 3yrs and never tweaked anything, and have never had an issue with it. The 4090 is without a doubt a beast of a card, and faster than the 7900xtx, but not nearly twice the price faster.

Average_1080p-p.webp

Average_1440p-p.webp
My thoughts exactly, its a beast of a card, but if im not targeting 4k, would i hit that much performance hit? I do want the highest FPS i can acheive in a 1080/2k side of things, but i'm not sure it would be that much of a difference.