Discussion Need Advice: Reviving dead Laptop GPU using a Hair Dryer.

Jul 10, 2024
Hi everyone,

I recently revived my old HP Elitebook 8560p with a Radeon 6470m GPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000, and need some advice on keeping it functional. Here’s the situation:

Background:

Six years ago, my GPU overheated from extensive gaming, causing several BSODs (which I gracefully ignored and went on gaming). It eventually gave up and stopped booting, with the fans spinning briefly before shutting off.
I assumed the GPU was fried after inspecting the motherboard and seeing a yellowish discoloration around it and declared the motherboard dead (shorted maybe?).

Revival effort:

A month ago, I found the laptop in pieces while randomly looking through my junk, and decided to try heating the GPU, a trick I had never dared to try. And, indeed, I did, using my mother’s hair dryer.

Surprise surprise, the fans are on! The backlight powered on and I stood there in awe witnessing the beautiful HP logo rise from the ashes!
I cleaned the discolored areas with alcohol, applied new thermal paste, slapped in a couple RAM sticks, reassembled everything, and replaced the dead HDD with one from another old laptop.
I installed Windows 10 (previously Windows 7), updated the drivers, and even ran FurMark. The GPU stayed at around 60°C under load (+97%).

Current Status:

The laptop has been running smoothly for 20 days with no overheating or any issue (apart from a 12% S.M.A.R.T health and a dead battery.)

Attempts to Reduce GPU Stress:

I tried disabling the AMD driver, but the screen flickers terribly at 1080p, leaving 720p as the only usable resolution. So, I kept the driver enabled.
I’m using it mainly for work, browsing, and office tasks with minimal GPU usage.

Questions:
-What additional precautions or steps should I take to keep the laptop running smoothly?

-How long can I expect it to stay alive?

-Is it worth an upgrade? (SSD, more RAM, Battery)

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Notes:
- I’m fully aware that it’s an ancient laptop by now and could spare my mental health by buying a new one altogether, but I’m saving up for a new laptop and it will take at least 5 months (given the inflation where I live + I need it to MAKE the money).

Jul 10, 2024
CPU is i5-2520M

Ok thanks!
Just out of curiosity, is this something you've tried or had experience with before?

Getting it done with a blow dryer is a surprise. When the X-Box 360's had the red ring of death It seemed my name got out there as the guy to find to do the heat repair.

I had to use a paint removal heat gun HOT. The number one thing that if the repair needed a touch up was the person didn't respect that it's a patch. It's living on borrowed time so treat it as so.

Keep clean dust wise and keep extra cool. throw a fan on it and don't push it hard.

I did laptops as well as HP's around 2009 had a bad GPU's that had the solder issue.

Reactions: Y4ssar
Jul 10, 2024
Getting it done with a blow dryer is a surprise. When the X-Box 360's had the red ring of death It seemed my name got out there as the guy to find to do the heat repair.

I had to use a paint removal heat gun HOT. The number one thing that if the repair needed a touch up was the person didn't respect that it's a patch. It's living on borrowed time so treat it as so.

Keep clean dust wise and keep extra cool. throw a fan on it and don't push it hard.

I did laptops as well as HP's around 2009 had a bad GPU's that had the solder issue.
Never thought it would work actually, but it was definitely worth it!
Thanks for the tips!