[SOLVED] Need Advice to Upgrade PC Audio

Aug 30, 2020
Hi,

I need advice to upgrade my PC audio setup for better musical clarity please. Currently using Creative Inspire 6600 and/or Logitech Z333.

I thought these were quite OK until.... I listened to a Logitech Z906 in a shop.
I am not talking about how loud it is but rather the clarity in audio tracks.
Digging further, I discovered that Z906 is actually not even that good for this purpose.

Long story short, I am looking to improve audio clarity while playing music. Just an intermediate setup.
My audio is mostly CD ripped 320kbps mp3.
Soundcard: Onboard X399 Aorus Pro with optical and DAC ports.

• Research shows S350DB or A5+ is optimal for my budget and purpose. Any comments?
  • Do I need an external DAC or soundcard?
  • What could be the weakest link considering complete chain from file encoding quality to sound waves produced.
  • Don't have the time or knowledge for a custom setup
Thanks

Solution
Either of those speakers are good, along with a few dozen other options. Thing with audio is that what you like does not usually match what others would like. You don't need another sound card, the one in your motherboard is fine. Swan M200MKII are another option in your price range, Kanto YU series (priced varies by driver size), Kanto 2 and a sub, Klipsch R-51PM, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for something in the $150 range but still with good sound.
Either of those speakers are good, along with a few dozen other options. Thing with audio is that what you like does not usually match what others would like. You don't need another sound card, the one in your motherboard is fine. Swan M200MKII are another option in your price range, Kanto YU series (priced varies by driver size), Kanto 2 and a sub, Klipsch R-51PM, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for something in the $150 range but still with good sound.

Solution
Aug 30, 2020

The Promedia was my third choice, forgot to mention.
Oddly enough, I can't find S350DB or Promedia locally.
If I need to describe my personal taste in the most amateur way, I would say I expect the speaker to produce a crisp "finger snap" tone. I guess that is around 2-3kHz. That makes sense considering human ear's most sensitive frequencies :)