Need advice

Bilbo_B

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2001
I recenlty upgraded my Voodoo 3-3000 for a GeForce2 GTS (An Annihilator 2, to be exact). Still, I haven't noticed a great improvement in game performance (a little, yes, but not nearly as much as I expected), so I'm wondering if the bottleneck is another part of my system. Specs are:
Celeron 533 (not overclocked)
256 MB PC100 Apacer memory
Atrend Motherboard Apollo 133 (can't remember the exact model right now).
10GB Maxtor HD, ATA 66 SMART Enabled, 7200 rpm.

My guess is I need a new processor. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.
Bilbo B.

G

your system sounds good enough to run any games out there smoothly. First I would run a regedit from your run option. then find anything in your registry that says "3dfx" and delete it. Then start up in safe mode. under you device properties delete all your drivers under you graphics card icon. Then reinstall you drivers after you reboot. You will also get much better perfomance fron the nvidia.com detonator drivers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would say that your biggest bottleneck is bus speed. If you have a FC-PGA celoron you can get it to 800/100. If you have a PPGA celeron you can probably only get to about 650. Both versions were available at 533.
If you want a better processor, get the PIII 700. It is well under $150 right now, even after shipping form some places. If you get the courage to overclock, the 700 will go to 933 at 133.

Suicide is painless...........

G

I wouldn't upgrade everything yet, overclock that Celeron and set your memory as fast as it will take in the bios for a bit of free speed first.

One thing to note is that at lower resolutions the voodoo 3 and geforce wont be that different. However, at high resolution and 32bit colour (not possible with the voodoo 3)the geforce flexes it's muscles beating the voodoo 3 hands down. Glide games are a different matter and are 3dfx biased so it's difficult to make a fair comparison in those cases.