Question Need an external front panel hub for a DIY open air build.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I spotted this item online, but can not find any location to buy it. Not even really a brand name for it. Can anyone help me find it? Or something similar? It's exactly what I need.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just to note, IF this makes any difference for you, OP. The unit from Amazon gives you a stand-alone box you can place anywhere handy, but its USB ports are ONLY USB2, and there are two of them.

The Fractal Design panels linked above for you must be mounted in a case front normally, and they include two EACH of USB2 and USB3 ports, with appropriate cables to plug into mobo headers. I would expect those two USB3 ports are of the Gen1 versions - that is, they use the USB3 version of Type A connectors and can move data at up to 5 Gb/s. Even IF your mobo USB3 headers are capable of higher rates, like the Gen2 rate max of 10 Gb/s, these sockets may not achieve that speed. However, Gen1 still is ten times faster than USB2, so those sockets MAY be important to you.

The Fractal Design panel ALSO includes ONE USB3 Type C socket and cable to a mobo header. Such a socket is suitable for use with a mobo header capable of Gen2 performance, and this socket IS capable of those faster data speeds. IF your mobo USB3 headers do not include one for Gen2 performance, the cable from this front Type C socket can still be plugged into a Gen1 capable mobo header.

Reactions: 1405

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Just to note, IF this makes any difference for you, OP. The unit from Amazon gives you a stand-alone box you can place anywhere handy, but its USB ports are ONLY USB2, and there are two of them.

The Fractal Design panels linked above for you must be mounted in a case front normally, and they include two EACH of USB2 and USB3 ports, with appropriate cables to plug into mobo headers. I would expect those two USB3 ports are of the Gen1 versions - that is, they use the USB3 version of Type A connectors and can move data at up to 5 Gb/s. Even IF your mobo USB3 headers are capable of higher rates, like the Gen2 rate max of 10 Gb/s, these sockets may not achieve that speed. However, Gen1 still is ten times faster than USB2, so those sockets MAY be important to you.

The Fractal Design panel ALSO includes ONE USB3 Type C socket and cable to a mobo header. Such a socket is suitable for use with a mobo header capable of Gen2 performance, and this socket IS capable of those faster data speeds. IF your mobo USB3 headers do not include one for Gen2 performance, the cable from this front Type C socket can still be plugged into a Gen1 capable mobo header.
Thank you for the added info. Some of those points I hadn't considered.
If the Fractal Design unit has USB 3.0, why are all the ports black? Yes, the ones in my link are also all black, but they re designated 2.0 and 3.0 printed below.

Thank you for the added info. Some of those points I hadn't considered.
If the Fractal Design unit has USB 3.0, why are all the ports black? Yes, the ones in my link are also all black, but they re designated 2.0 and 3.0 printed below.
Color coding is not universal, manufacturers are free to use any color. What is important is type of connector on PC side of cables. USB1, 1.1, 2 and USB3.x connectors are different.

Reactions: 1405 and Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can verify the labels on a socket labelled USB3, or some version of "3". Colour is widely used now but not universal.

The key difference is in how may contact points it has. The older USB2 sockets and plug had FOUR metal contact strips supported on a plastic tongue. The new version of Type A for USB3 has those four, BUT also FIVE additional contacts on the front edge of the socket tongue that are slightly lower. So if you plug a USB3 type A PLUG into that the matching extra contacts connect in its back make connections to the five in the socket. But if you plug an older USB2 plug into that socket, there is nothing in the plug to connect to the five added ones, so they have no function and the system recognizes that the item plugged in can only do USB2 stuff.

Opposite case of a USB3 Type A PLUG into a USB2 socket means the plug's five extra contacts have nothing in the socket to connect to, so they are not used and the system uses its only possibility - USB2, even though the device you plugged in maybe able to do more.

Reactions: 1405 and CountMike

TRENDING THREADS