[SOLVED] Need an NVME SSD upgrade. I don't know anything about them

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
What should I be looking for when I buy? I normally go for bang for buck always. I don't need the fastest or latest gen 4 stuff. Just a good price to performance ratio. I've been on an X58 platform since yesteday so I was limited to my Samsung 830 SSD from 2011. It's only 128GB

I want to move to 1TB i think. Split it in half. One half for OSs (I will for now have two windows 10 partitions. One stuck at 1809 and another for latest builds. Need this for 3D Vision)

THe other half I'd like to install some games on. Is this recommended? Or should you seperate your OS drive completely from gaming drive?

What are good brand? And what should I look for in terms of form factor and interface. My motherboard is the Z490 Taichi

Thanks

Solution
135 max for SSD. And I need the second partion because of 3D Vision. I have a 3D OLED that really really makes gaming amazing in 3D. Sadly new Windows versions makes it complicated to play 3D since its no longer supported. So I need an old version and another 1909 and later version for new games that I cannot play in 3D that require the latest drivers
OK.

I strongly recommend 2 physical drives, 1 OS on each.
970 EVO
1TB - $140
500GB - $97

Other drives are similar prices.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
What is your budget and space requirement?
Hard to go wrong with a Samsung 970.

Why the requirement for the second Windows OS (v1809)?

135 max for SSD. And I need the second partion because of 3D Vision. I have a 3D OLED that really really makes gaming amazing in 3D. Sadly new Windows versions makes it complicated to play 3D since its no longer supported. So I need an old version and another 1909 and later version for new games that I cannot play in 3D that require the latest drivers

USAFRet

Titan
OK.

I strongly recommend 2 physical drives, 1 OS on each.
970 EVO
1TB - $140
500GB - $97

Other drives are similar prices.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
why two different physical drives?
Dualboot with 2 OS's in partitions on a single drive gives zero separation between the two.
The boot partition and menu is merged into one, we've seen instances where one OS will screw up the other...

2 physical drives, with the OS installed on each when it is the only drive present in the system, gives the max amount of separation possible.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
Dualboot with 2 OS's in partitions on a single drive gives zero separation between the two.
The boot partition and menu is merged into one, we've seen instances where one OS will screw up the other...

2 physical drives, with the OS installed on each when it is the only drive present in the system, gives the max amount of separation possible.
So I've ran the expirement myself. I don;t remember how I set up the dual boot but I did. Two different OS's on my Samsung 830. I deleted both OSes and everytime I deleted one vs the other, the other would just become my main OS. I did it because I heard that concern before. SO I backed up my 830 and did it myself. No issues with either patition being deleted. Windows 10 is magic

D

Deleted member 2838871

why two different physical drives?

I agree... I'd definitely go with 2 drives and avoid a single drive setup.

970 Evo (Plus) is an amazing SSD... highly recommended. My system has 3. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts