[SOLVED] Need an upgrade, any suggestions ?

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
TL\DR I have been thinking about 1650S or RX 590 Nitro, both are same price here, however electricity is super expensive where I live, and when I have time, I game a lot.

Which one I should go for long term use in future, and possible upgrades to support it the best. But now I rather have less bottleneck with my current system.

Only 1080p 60fps gaming, nothing more and I will never upgrade to 2k or 4k

GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P
FX 8350 @4.0 GHZ w/ HYPER EVO 212
CORSAIR 4X4GB 1600MHZ CL9 RAM
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X OC R9 280X
AOPEN 650W 12V 624W 52A BRONZE PSU
COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 650 CASE
SAMSUNG EVO 840 250GB SSD (OS INSTALLED) WIN10 PRO X64
SAMSUNG HD753LJ

I'm aware that my system is old and my budget is $300. Only singleplayer gaming at 1080@60p and will never go beyond that. (Maybe VR depending on the budget and options.)

I live in a kinda 2nd to 3rd world country. I used to be happy with my system untill the economic crisis here got even worse than ever. Therefore, the electricity bills make me depressed too much. You easily can imagine how my system is hungry for energy like a V8 muscle car for some gasoline. Here the 2nd hand market is meh, not sure how much my GPU actually worths nowadays, I only saw some people trying to sell it around $80, but I know miners like it. Mining here, where I live, would be ironic though.

Anyways, I don't intend to spend all my budget to an upgrade becasue I am highly suspucious about bottleneck issues so, I am likely to just go for a GPU upgrade. And I believe the new tech parts do not consume as much power as my current system. If it is going to be profitable for me, I might build myself a new rig if my current system worths some money. I wouldn't mind that if the new rig gave similiar performance with my current one unless it consumes less electricity.

Just to give you opinion about the market here, I built a low power HTPC from scratch to my father last week and it costed $250. It has Athlon 200GE
GA A320M-H
2X8 DDR4 CRUICAL 2133 MHZ RAM
300W old psu

I am waiting for your suggestions, thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
If the price is the same I mean why not , go for the 1660 then. There will be bottleneck but in the future you can upgrade and use the same gpu , no need to buy a weak gpu now just so you don't have bottleneck. Depending of your budget I think it's wise to save a bit more money and change the platform , cpu+ram+mobo and use your current gpu which is still decent if you don't wanna ultra the heck out of games. I bet your current specs are drawing a nasty amount of power so better change it for something newer. All you have to change is the cpu , ram and motherboard.

I'm also the kind of guy that wants to squeeze everything from and old platform so I'm still using i7 3770 + rx 570 and it's ok for me at this time. Later I'll upgrade too...

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you will need a new board with ram and a cpu so check the 2700 from amd also do you have the key for your win 10 pro because you gone need to reinstall it for the new board you could use pcpartpicker to se what you could build and the price it will cost where you live .

Reactions: Vulmaro

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
there is no better cpu on speed for this board look at cpu list so other option is to get a am4 board with cpu and ddr4 ram .
Oh sorry, I was gonna ask about a GPU but I accidentally typed in CPU, I've already known there wouldn't be any AM3+ CPUs for that chipset. My mobo is old. Upgrade is essential if I buy a cpu. What GPU could you suggest depending on my current system. Please consider my PSU and CPU so there wouldn't be any bottlenecking issues.

I am also waiting for other people to give me advices.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Allright, seems decent enough, I have it bookmarked as a great option. Meanwhile, I found that I also could get GTX 1650, 1050Ti or RX 570 but I haven't compared or calculated the price/performance ratio. (Including power consumption) I check bottlenecking from here with my FX 8350 https://pc-builds.com/calculator/FX-8350_Eight-Core/GeForce_GTX_1650/0sI13M8A/ GTX 1650 surprised me a lot, look at that 75w TDP! It's nothing compared to my r9 280x which has 250w TDP, no wonder why I never have to turn on the heater in my flat, already paying for heating via electricity bills :rolleyes:

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Forget the gtx 1650 , it's a waste of money , 1050Ti also, best bang for buck is the rx 570 but if you have enough money go for the rx 5500 which is newer.
What about gtx 1660 ? It has more performance than rx 5500xt for the same price here which is $312 for both. I'm still concerned about bottleneck issues because of my good old FX cpu. I might think of overclocking. Not sure how much that increases power consumption, though. But I know that with my lovely hyper evo 212, I can't overdo it to a significant point.

2spooky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
If the price is the same I mean why not , go for the 1660 then. There will be bottleneck but in the future you can upgrade and use the same gpu , no need to buy a weak gpu now just so you don't have bottleneck. Depending of your budget I think it's wise to save a bit more money and change the platform , cpu+ram+mobo and use your current gpu which is still decent if you don't wanna ultra the heck out of games. I bet your current specs are drawing a nasty amount of power so better change it for something newer. All you have to change is the cpu , ram and motherboard.

I'm also the kind of guy that wants to squeeze everything from and old platform so I'm still using i7 3770 + rx 570 and it's ok for me at this time. Later I'll upgrade too on intel or ryzen , depending what will be better for gaming in the near future, so far intel rules in gaming but I'm waiting for newer stuff to be released.

Reactions: Vulmaro
Solution

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

I'm also the kind of guy that wants to squeeze everything from and old platform so I'm still using i7 3770 + rx 570 and it's ok for me at this time. Later I'll upgrade too on intel or ryzen , depending what will be better for gaming in the near future, so far intel rules in gaming but I'm waiting for newer stuff to be released.

Checked some benchmarks and now, GTX 1650 SUPER version got my attention. I might only get that component, and then intend to do it just like you say about your old platform, use my system till it can't support AAA games at enjoyable rates. I will probably get the GPU in late January. Meanwhile, all I can do is waiting. Maybe there will be new card releases or significant driver updates on the current ones etc.

My GPU still gets the job done but with that 250TDP plus 125TDP from my CPU, electricity billings are insanse when gaming! 1kWh is nearly 0.60 local currency here. And will be even more expensive in upcoming months due to the new year, huge taxtations and unstable economy. Imagine, you have a high performance car but can't enjoy it due to gas prices.

You are right about upgrading ram cpu mobo combo, but can't save money for that, maybe in the future. But if i'm to get gtx 1650S, upgrading the rest of the system will be a huge performance increase I believe. My inner voice says that I hould go for rx 590 nitro instead for the same price as 1650s but unfortunately I can't trust it since the cards have very common wattman problem here and it is 185TDP.