Question Need an upgrade from a GTX 1080

tompettibone

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
I currently have an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080, My daughter's GTX 980 quit on her. I'm planning on putting my GPU into her computer and getting myself a new, or used, GPU. I'm also planning on getting a 2K 120Hz or better monitor. So, with that said, what are my best options for under $400? Don't care whether it's AMD or Nvidia, new or used. Just the best bang for the buck.
My specs are ASUS Strix b450 mobo, Ryzen 7 5800x3d cpu on a Corsair 150i cooler, 16 GB RAM, 750Watt PSU.

I would go for a 3080/ 6800 XT, nothing bellow that.
3080's, in my country, retail for about 400 euros on the second hand market, same goes for the 6800 XT.
They are power hungry tho, make sure u have a proper ~700W psu unit.

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
Your CPU may not be able to keep up with anything faster than a RTX 3080 or RX 7700XT and that's a bit conservative also depends what res your playing at too you will benefit using a 1440P panel because it wont bottleneck the GPU as much and be overall more stable. So im sure either of those two will offer similar performance. And if you want Ray Tracing and overall better driver stability albeit not by much go with Nvidia. This is coming from an AMD user

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a 7700 xt is about the best you'll do for a new gpu for that budget. though with prime day coming up again and newegg already dropping some prices, you might get lucky if you stay on top of it the next couple days. no one knows what sales might be in the works the next few days though they tend to sell out fast.

you can do 1440p with a 7700xt though you'll not be maxing out settings on everything you throw at it, but it'll manage. read some reviews and benchmarks from games you specifically play to see just what you can expect from the card.

bang for the buck is def on the AMD side right now with comparable nvidia cards priced well above AMD right now.

on the used side there are tons of options from many sources so that's just gonna be a lot of searching and skimming for you to see what is available. i'm not a fan of used gpu's with all the mining cards and fakes out there. but if you're comfortable with them, then go for it :)

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
Your CPU may not be able to keep up with anything faster than a RTX 3080 or RX 7700XT and that's a bit conservative also depends what res your playing at too you will benefit using a 1440P or higher panel because it wont bottleneck the GPU as much and be overall more stable. So im sure either of those two will offer similar performance. And if you want Ray Tracing and overall better driver stability albeit not by much go with Nvidia. This is coming from an AMD user