[SOLVED] Need answers on using a WiFi Repeater or LAN Cable

Ryann Jeff

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
So today i've decided to move the family PC to my room so i can use it on my room for my online classes. Problem is the signal is weak. So to elaborate it our WiFi router is on first floor, and my room is on the second floor. While using a WiFi USB Adapter i can only get up to 2-3 bars on my room. So i bought an WiFi Repeater online and fixed the issue on slow signals, but unfortunately it came with some downsides. First is its not stable sometimes it will disconnect on its own on my PC, or even give me high pings on my games, and i can really see the difference of speed on my internet before i was using the PC besides the router, and now that i am using a WiFi repeater. So i want to fix it again by using a LAN Cable that will come from my main router (1st floor) to my PC (2nd floor) will that resolve my issue on having a connections problems on my PC?

If the power sockets in the router room (1st floor) & the PC room (2nd floor) are on the same circuit (ie protected by the same fuse or breaker) you can try using a pair of powerline adapters.

That's what I use to get a network connection from my router upstairs to my smart TV's ethernet port downstairs.

If you can get a lan cable run between the floors that is your best option. Do not use that flat ethernet wire it might hide easier but it is not certified cable and has issues especially at longer distances.

The newest powerline units based on av2 technology work much better when the circuits are not on the same breaker. There are still those rare houses powerline does not work.

If you have tv coax you could try MoCA devices.

Still if you have anyway to run a ethernet cable that will be your best option and you should get 1gbit with no delays and no data loss.

Ryann Jeff

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Just to make sure since i'll be buying a 10m outdoor lan cable tommorow, once i do this: Router (1st floor) - Lan cable - PC (2nd floor) i won't get some connection issues or weak connections right?

TRENDING THREADS