Question [Need assistance] My display won't fit properly on my 4k Samsung smart Tv

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Hello everyone,
So i have a Samsung 4k TV at native resolution of 3840x2160 but supports 4096x2160. When i select the native (says right next 3480x2160) resolution from nvidia panel settings my display goes out from all sides to the extent where i can only see the start bar slightly. By turning on the option Fit Screen on my tv settings it makes the display fit the screen but it slightly lessens (slimmer) the wider side of the display. By the way same thing happens on 4090x2160. NV panel has the resize display option but it decreases the actual resolution like if i select the res 4090x2160 and then resize it i only have to decrease the width to 3850 to fit the screen properly but if i do the resizing at 3840x2160 then i have to decrease both width and height and i lose the HDR capability with resizing. If i was using just this one display then i would resize res from 4096x2160 to 3808x2160 and be done with it but i share a clone display with my 4k projector and I'll have to re-change the resolution back to default every time when I turn on the projector otherwise the projector display will stretch from the width side not to mention on HDR or 10/12bit ycbcr422 (my current color settings) in custom color settings.
This problem doesn't occur on my PS4 Pro or my 4k projector, it is only happening with my TV and no i can't select my projector as a source for the clone display because of whole another issue with my 4k receiver not outputting native 4k(3840x2160) but 1920x1080 as native only with PC, but gives native 4k when connected directly from the PC and surprisingly it doesn't happen on my PS4Pro and gives native 4k through my receiver.
Is there a way to fix this issue?
I will really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
How about in Windows Resolution ? Or the TV settings ?
If you are asking about 16:10 aspect ratio on Tv settings or windows so as i told in my above reply and There was none on my TV, only 16:9. And in windows display settings, no there is nothing related to aspect ratio, and i also didn't find anything related to changing the aspect ratio in the NV Panel.
The listed resolution are upto 4096x2160 but native is mentioned next to 3840x2160 (my current resolution).

Hello everyone,
So i have a Samsung 4k TV at native resolution of 3840x2160 but supports 4096x2160. When i select the native (says right next 3480x2160) resolution from nvidia panel settings my display goes out from all sides to the extent where i can only see the start bar slightly. By turning on the option Fit Screen on my tv settings it makes the display fit the screen but it slightly lessens (slimmer) the wider side of the display. By the way same thing happens on 4090x2160. NV panel has the resize display option but it decreases the actual resolution like if i select the res 4090x2160 and then resize it i only have to decrease the width to 3850 to fit the screen properly but if i do the resizing at 3840x2160 then i have to decrease both width and height and i lose the HDR capability with resizing. If i was using just this one display then i would resize res from 4096x2160 to 3808x2160 and be done with it but i share a clone display with my 4k projector and I'll have to re-change the resolution back to default every time when I turn on the projector otherwise the projector display will stretch from the width side not to mention on HDR or 10/12bit ycbcr422 (my current color settings) in custom color settings.
This problem doesn't occur on my PS4 Pro or my 4k projector, it is only happening with my TV and no i can't select my projector as a source for the clone display because of whole another issue with my 4k receiver not outputting native 4k(3840x2160) but 1920x1080 as native only with PC, but gives native 4k when connected directly from the PC and surprisingly it doesn't happen on my PS4Pro and gives native 4k through my receiver.
Is there a way to fix this issue?
I will really appreciate the help.

You are using dual displays with this TV and displaying the same image on both? That is very likely the issue, setting the display on clone will make both displays use the lowers common resolution and refresh rate to both and that can cause issues with one of them if they can't properly render it. Only way to get the exact correct image on the TV is to set it as the only display, or extend the displays and turn off scaling.

Reactions: KyaraM

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
You are using dual displays with this TV and displaying the same image on both? That is very likely the issue, setting the display on clone will make both displays use the lowers common resolution and refresh rate to both and that can cause issues with one of them if they can't properly render it. Only way to get the exact correct image on the TV is to set it as the only display, or extend the displays and turn off scaling.
First I like to say what i forgot to mention in my original post, The display looks the same even as a single only display. I had been using a single display until April 2nd, 2022 when i got my 4k projector and I know about how clone display works and shows the lowest resolution display. And both of my display (TV/Projector have the same resolution specs 4k 3840x2160 native HDR10/Dolby Vision). I wasn't sure that i was having the issue until I saw the display of my projector because when i was only using a single display(TV), it was my 1st 4k) i thought may be i am just imagining it because my previous display (1080p monitor) didn't look like that.
So even if i am using a single display (TV) the issue is the same. Right now i am watching an anime Initial D and it is 4:3 (box) aspect ratio and it was look like it is shrink from the width (left and right), then i had to use the custom aspect ratio in the MPC classic video settings to make it look properly stretched

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
4:3 doesn't stretch magically to 16:9 unless you distort the image. If you complain that viewing 4:3 in 4K doesn't fill the screen then why not use a 21in. CRT lamp monitor ?
I don't understand what you mean? May be you didnt understand my reply properly or may be I couldn't explain it properly. What i was talking about regarding 4:3 videos is that as i told in my original post that on my 16:9 4k (3840x2160) display i feel like the display is slightly shrink from the width (horizontal) side and in my previous post i was telling that 4:3 videos (the video display area not the entire screen) was also looking the same(shrink) and when i selected/forced the aspect ratio 16:9 in mpc player in the video frame section of settings (which stretched the video to the full screen) then the shrink video looked better compared to what it was in its original aspect ratio (4:3) which made me sure that my TV is displaying slightly shrink picture from the left and right. I am not trying to watch 4:3 video in full screen (stretched) area like you said, i was just giving an example on my actual issue.
When i watch normal 16:9 videos doesn't matter if they are in 4k or 1080p, the faces or basically everything look slightly shrink compared to my previous 1080p(16:9) monitor, faces look more prominent and that is how i noticed it in the first place.

Seems someone would actually have to be there to see what the displays look like to sort out what looks wrong and what changes may need to be done. I doubt we will be able to sort it out even with pictures outside of it simply being set to scale the image which it looks to be doing.

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Seems someone would actually have to be there to see what the displays look like to sort out what looks wrong and what changes may need to be done. I doubt we will be able to sort it out even with pictures outside of it simply being set to scale the image which it looks to be doing.
Yeah i think so too, I was the same with my friend when i was telling him but when he saw it personally today then he understood and said "Aah" but he didn't know how to fix it as he has very little to no understanding about these things lol.

Yeah i think so too, I was the same with my friend when i was telling him but when he saw it personally today then he understood and said "Aah" but he didn't know how to fix it as he has very little to no understanding about these things lol.
lucky you i have samsung tv aswell and got no issues here
By turning on the option Fit Screen on my tv settings it makes the display fit the screen but it slightly lessens (slimmer) the wider side of the display
well you should NOT be able to have this option available on PC connection
it should be greyed out, which means your TV has not setup proper PC signal

press home button on your remote, select source, find there your HDMI connected to PC, move up for edit button and change device icon to PC
done

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
lucky you i have samsung tv aswell and got no issues here

well you should NOT be able to have this option available on PC connection
it should be greyed out, which means your TV has not setup proper PC signal

press home button on your remote, select source, find there your HDMI connected to PC, move up for edit button and change device icon to PC
done
Actually i know about that setting but when i select PC then i lose the option for HDR and hdr settings from the TV display settings and only get standard and dynamic. Otherwise i get full hdr10+, that is why i chose home theatre option from the list or console. But I gonna select the PC and see if it changes the display.

Last edited:
Actually i know about that setting but when i select PC then i lose the option for HDR and hdr settings from the TV display settings and only get standard and dynamic. Otherwise i get full hdr10+, that is why i chose home theatre option from the list or console. But I gonna select the PC and see if it changes the display.
home button -> settings -> general -> external device manager -> hdmi uhd color
make sure its enabled for that hdmi port ure using with PC, disabled would disable HDR (not enough bandwith)
HDR settings you can configure on PC

now i have tested it your way just in case you really like that fake HDR on SDR content

not using PC connection type
disabled auto fill screen on TV
and it does overscan a bit as it runs on true 4K signal (4096x2160), while nvidia control panel changes doesnt make any difference
what does seems to work is desktop resize, which creates this resolution
Q558xRr.png

A4KyHFL.png

Zaselim

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
now i have tested it your way just in case you really like that fake HDR on SDR content

not using PC connection type
disabled auto fill screen on TV
and it does overscan a bit as it runs on true 4K signal (4096x2160), while nvidia control panel changes doesnt make any difference
what does seems to work is desktop resize, which creates this resolution
Q558xRr.png

A4KyHFL.png
Thanks for taking the time to help me, My UHD colors are On on all hdmi connections as it was the first thing i did when i turned on the TV for the first time lol.
Yes it does help it was one of the first thing I also tried before by selecting the 4096x2160 resolution to 3858x2160 and i believe i did mention it in one of my earlier posts but it disabled 10 and 12bit color option from from output color depth for me. And if i an mot wrong then it also disables the HDR option from windows display settings but i don't use windows HDR version instead I use ycbcr 444 with 12bit colors depth.
No i don't like fake HDR over SDR content, but i do watch HDR content (blu ray movies, shows and games) as i don't like streaming because it has less quality over 4k Blu Rays specially when i am watching on my projector.
It's alright, I am coming to terms with it, What I'm gonna do from now that when i am working (3d character designing/modeling, for accurate width and height)I will do the resize thing and then I'll go back to native res when Its time for coloring and texturing and for watching content. I mostly watch movies/shows on my Projector anyway so i think I'll be fine with it.
Thanks again everyone for trying to help me with the problem and keeping up with it.