Question Need assistance setting RAM to 1600 freq, it works only at 1333

Alas Vic

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Good day, I hope everyone is ok.

Soo here is the thing, i have a problem with my memory, I cannot set the correct frequency and I have tried many things already.

Here is my setup is already somewhat old.

MOBO: X79S-UP5 (updated to the latest version)
CORE: 17 3930K Sandy Bridge-E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GBX2 1600MHZ

the problem is that the memory works at 1333 and I have already tried to change the options in the bios to leave it working at 1600 but it always causes problems, whether I try changing only the multiplier, or activating the XMP profile, change the voltage of the D ram, but whenever I save and restart or my computer reboot many times, or it just return me to the bios saying that a problem occurred while booting for some incorrect configuration in the bios.

Finally I decided to leave the optimal configuration and come to ask, because I'm about to buy 16 GB of RAM more and I want to know what to do.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Try resetting the BIOS to default settings as follows, and THEN set the XMP profile AND also bump the DRAM (Memory) voltage UP by about .005-.020v and then save settings and exit the BIOS. Restart. See if it will POST without issues. Also, make SURE you have the memory installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Reactions: Alas Vic

Alas Vic

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Try resetting the BIOS to default settings as follows, and THEN set the XMP profile AND also bump the DRAM (Memory) voltage UP by about .005-.020v and then save settings and exit the BIOS. Restart. See if it will POST without issues. Also, make SURE you have the memory installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.
Thanks for your help, I tried this but no luck yet.

Alas Vic

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello, i dont know if this will help. im not very good with all of this, but trying hard!

A0Cdrci.png

S1i8P0K.png

The part number that you are showing is not Corsair Dominator platinum. It's Corsair Vengeance. Much cheaper memory. If your heatsinks say Dominator platinum then somebody has transplanted those heatsinks from a Dominator kit onto a cheaper Vengeance kit in order to sell them for more money. They are not Dominator platinum.

They are also showing up as CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 rather than CMZ16GX3M1A1600C10 which means that you have two separate 8GB sticks that were not matched as a set from the factory because if they were they'd be programmed with the 16GB designation in the model number.

That tells us a couple of things. One, the memory itself may not even be compatible with each other and two, even if they are the same part number for all sticks and even if they came from the same production run, they may not work with your motherboard even though they are technically on the Corsair list of compatible memory for that board. Once you start using memory that didn't come together, all bets are off.

How many sticks are actually installed, because your original post says 2 x8GB but your CPU-Z screen says it is running is quad channel, which is not possible if there are only two sticks installed.

Please repeat what you did above, for the screenshots, but include a screenshot for EACH AND EVERY slot that is listed in the drop down menu if there is memory installed in that slot.