Need compatible MOBO replacement for evga n force 680i SLI

Bharford

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Hey Guys, Need some knowledgeable advice.

A friend built me a gaming computer in 08' and loved it for speed and multi processing ability. The MOBO is fried now (bad capacitor) and keep getting the BSOD if it will load up. You cant find that MOBO anymore so I am looking for a replacement for the system without replacing everything. I dont game anymore but will be using it for multiple processing (multi websites up, word, excel and watching a movie at same time) ops. I know everyone will want to say go buy a quad core but I am retired and on a budget and to be honest that computer was faster than the avg $500 + store bought new cpu.

By this forums knowledge/standards I would be considered a newb so some explanation maybe required with advice. My current setup is below (Not sure if the builder over-clocked system or not. I think that is why he put that MOBO in though...I dont need to over-clock new MOBO - no longer gaming)

System:

MOBO - EVGA N Force 6801 SLI (not sure what SLI means?) Like the 4 mem slots (currently 4x 1 gig DDR2) It is supposed to handle DDR3 as well, can anyone confirm this??? Uses a 775 socket I think. (122-ck-nf68-a1)

Processor - Intel core 2 Duo cpu E8400 @ 3.00ghz / 3.00ghz - like the 6 gig sate memory ? and freq speed

G Card - Nvidia GE Force 8800 GT

Also: Read/writable drive, 2 TB HD, 1k pwr supply

Goal: Option 1 - Replace MOBO with one that will fit system and has similar capabilities without costing alot. Option 2 -Most economical way to rebuild system with similar/improved performance. I would like to jump up to 6 or 8 gig memory too.

Thanks in advance

Bharford

Here's the deal.

It's most likely that you have a Windows OEM license. That will preclude you under the license terms from swapping the motherboard while retaining the right to use the license.

Any 2008 vintage Core 2 Duo can be outperformed by a 2015 computer bought retail and costing about $500. For $800 you can get something terrific.

That motherboard only supports DDR2 memory. Under no circumstances can you use DDR3 in it.

"SLI" refers to a means of Interconnecting two Nvidia Graphics cards. It is not needed in systems with one graphics card. From the specifications, it seems that your particular motherboard may have a PLEX chip (it clams to have "true" 2x 16 lance PCI-e support) and that would have driven the cost of that motherboard up substantially. So would all the overclocking capabilities.

It's definitely not the board I'd install in a computer for the tasks that you envisage.

The graphics card is ancient.

My best advice would be to ditch that system and get a computer from here; http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/h-series/h30-50/

I'd recommend the $500 i5 processor. :)

Bharford

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015

Bharford

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Karsten 75,

Thanks for the response and help. Since I am on a serious budget, A few more questions if I may.

So board is bad and GC needs updating. Would it be cheaper to buy a comparative 775 socket new MOBO that would run with the processor or is processor to old slow as well ?(and update graphics card as well). Is there any market out there for any pieces of my setup to recoup before rebuying/building?

I am afraid I would only be able to afford an entry level new system $300 and if I look at that with the link, the processor is slower, same amount of memory although it is DDR3, not sure but I bet the sate memory is less, HD is smaller.

I am a newb so lacking the knowledge but it seems barely an upgrade from my current system and usually with those entry models expansion is limited.

I appreciate any further explanation;not trying to test your patience but rather to learn and understand more.

thank you

Bharford

Benchmarks provide a way to compare processors over different architectures. Copy and paste this link (just clicking on it will not show the proper results)

=2268&cmp[]=2317&cmp[]=955]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2268&cmp[]=2317&cmp[]=955

The $300 computer is faster than your current computer. The $$400 computer is about 2x as fast

You will need to spend $100 on an operating system if you replace the motherboard. Recon on another $60 or so if you can find a socket 775 motherboard. - Then you have the same crappy performance. The computers I linked you have high-performing graphics integrated comparable to your current card.

=1279&cmp[]=2451]http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1279&cmp[]=2451

A cheap sub-$100 modern graphics card will nicely augment that if you need to. However, I doubt you'll have issues as-is for your proposed usage.

I see you now twice referred to "6 gig sate memory" - I have no idea what that is. ALl I can think of is that you are talking about the 6Gbps SATA connection for hard drives. That's pretty standard and all computers come with that.

You can try and sell your old power supply and memory - there may be buyers on eBay, I don't know and I don't know what prices may be. Or you can buy a USB external dock and put your current hard drive in that to get your data back. That'll be around $16. (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-HD-389-U2-3-5Inch-External-Connection/dp/B000UOAJR0) I'll let you research your preferred model on Amazon or wherever you prefer to shop.

I don't know what you'll get for the power supply - tht depends on make and model, but if it truly is a 1000W, it is insane to have that in a rig as you describe your old rig to be.

Since your plan was to simply get a new motherboard, even the $300 option that is nearly the same, will perform better and be good for a few years, with a warranty. Spend $100 more and you will definitely notice it.

Bharford

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Ok, now I understand better. The benchmarks were helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to help educate me.

I guess I will part out the pieces and buy one of the new ones you suggested (like losing my favorite dog..lol)

I dont know why my friend put a 1k ps on the rig but the side of it says "Ultra X3 ATX 1000w power supply" I maybe able to get something for "AMMO 50" tower case too. The memory is only corsair CM2x6400, 1 gig (800mhz) sticks (x4). I like your idea of the external dock for the HD.

I think I got confused in regards to the " 6 gig sate memory". I thought I read somewhere over the last few days while doing this research that the MOBO or CPU had a 6 gig kinda quick access memory and it was larger than others. (I have just enough knowledge to get it all confused...lol)

Thanks so much for your help

Have a good one

Bharford

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I arrive a bit late to this thread but i'll give my 2 cents. You have 3 options:

■ Repairing your existing motherboard - it's possible and not very expensive. I got an old motherboard fixed by replacing 2 capacitors for the equivalent of $20. Downsides: another problem might arise soon and you need to buy new PC.

■ Replace the motherboard with something compatible. There are at least 3 or 4 recent motherboards with 775 socket and DDR2 compatibility. They are intended exactly for "reviving" old PCs with motherboard problems. Two friends of mine bought new socket 775 motherboards and are running their 5-8 year old PCs happily again.

■ Buy a new PC or upgrade your existing one. In that case, follow the advices already given by Karsten75

BTW, for everyday tasks and work, my previous 8-yr old PC upgraded with a SSD is faster than 90% of the new PCs sold today so be sure your new PC has a SSD. You can't imagine the difference of using a SSD until you've experienced it.