'Need For Speed' Coming To PC March 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Maximum pixel depth depends on viewpoint and monitor resolution. 4096 textures really doesn't say much without knowing the dimensions of the object and intended viewpoint.
4096 pixels per meter is a much different level of detail than 4096 pixels per kilometer.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
A racing game with only an automatic transmission? Man is that stupid. But wait it's a game that has become arcadey as can be and is made by EA. I wouldn't be surprised if traction control and stability control were always on too.

Ja_52

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
A racing game with only an automatic transmission? Man is that stupid. But wait it's a game that has become arcadey as can be and is made by EA. I wouldn't be surprised if traction control and stability control were always on too.

"When Need For Speed comes out on PC, the game will finally have a manual transmission option. The original release of the game didn't have one, and Ghost Games said that the feature was one of the additions that the community demanded the most. The developer said that the console versions of the game will also get the manual transmission option when the game launches on PC."

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I just want NFS: Most Wanted (original not the rubbish remake) and NFS: Underground 1 and 2 to get full modern revamps. Update the graphics and the cars if you wish but leave the games themselves as they were. That would make me and several million players quite happy.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

"When Need For Speed comes out on PC, the game will finally have a manual transmission option. The original release of the game didn't have one, and Ghost Games said that the feature was one of the additions that the community demanded the most. The developer said that the console versions of the game will also get the manual transmission option when the game launches on PC."
It's amazing that they even need to be told this. It seems like this happens more and more.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
I just want NFS: Most Wanted (original not the rubbish remake) and NFS: Underground 1 and 2 to get full modern revamps. Update the graphics and the cars if you wish but leave the games themselves as they were. That would make me and several million players quite happy.

I think it was underground 2 that I installed couple years ago that had upgraded graphics. It was fan-made mods, but looked quite good at 1080p. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ECIiQ3AZM

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
It is so sad that features like higher resolutions, unlock frame rate and even the fxxking manual transmission (more like the ability you can roll your own gear) are consider "special features" in 2016 racing titles.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001

First, I am assuming you are talking about "manual transmission" feature. Having an "option" to roll your own gears is not about adding realism into a "racing/driving" title. It is one of the BASIC operation of controlling a car, specially a high performance car in a racing environment. Just having 2 buttons to able to shift up and shift down is not rocket science and not even a "realistic" action for operate a "manual transmission". But saying it does not matter is just naive. Are you ok the next version of NFS auto brake and accelerate for you as well? It doesn't matter, not every racing game need to be realistic... The game is about driving a real world cars not Mario carts. So you mind the graphics need to be nice, a BMW in the game need to look as realistic as the real thing, but it is ok the game won't give you option to change gears in race? May be you don't need this option but it doesn't mean this option is not matter.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Need for Speed franchise was never a simulator. There are already superior vehicle simulators on the PC where you can use your steering wheel with feedback, pedals, and VR. When it comes to arcade racing, it's about the thrill of racing and not so much the precision.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
LOL, love the guy pointing out that they "will be fixing" the no manual transmission issue. I read the article and was in disbelief that a series that has always had a manual option wouldn't be released with a manual option. But leave it to EA to mess up a game. I was just making a comment that if they can mess up the transmission what else can they mess up? I mean seriously a manual transmission with no stability or traction control is the fastest setup in most games. If I bought a game only to find out that the assists were always on or the transmission was always an auto I'd return the game immediately. Not because I want to "feel" like a driver but because I've had experiences where the assists have messed me up or slowed me down unnecessarily or the manual transmission won't upshift when I want it to. It's more the annoyance factor of not having the option of turning to a manual that would upset me. I haven't used a manual on a game in forever because they always want to hold a lower gear when an upshift would put it almost right at the redline in the higher gear. This really affects exit on turns and the handling coming off especially when the transmission doesn't do the same thing every lap. Which is where the annoyance comes from.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001

A car has steering wheel that is why you want to play a racing game that you can steer.
A car has gas and brake pedals that is why want to play a racing game that you can use pedal and brake pedal (commands)
A car has auto, semi-auto and manual transmission that is why you want a racing game that AT LEAST give you an option to select auto or manual transmission

It has NOTHING to do if the racing title is a simulator or arcade racing title. May be you just too naive or casual to understand that.

NFS was never a sim and always an arcade racing title. Everybody knew that. But do you know almost ALL NFS titles have the option to use auto and manual gear. Arcade racer is NOT an excuse.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Umm...
I haven't used an automatic on a game in forever because they always want to hold a higher gear when a downshift would put it almost right at the redline in the lower gear. This really affects exit on turns and the handling coming off especially when the transmission doesn't do the same thing every lap.
Fixed that, for you.

When I've tried iRacing, I found myself sticking to higher gears than I'd normally use, because it's so hard to catch & correct, when the rear end breaks free. In real life, the instant sensory feedback enables me to catch it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.