Need For Speed Underground 2 (PC)

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have recently purchased Need For Speed Underground 2 for the PC. I have a
P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, and a nVidia Riva TNT2 graphics card. When I run the
game, some graphics do not display correctly, e.g. where there should be
buttons with text, there is just squares. I am running the latest nVidia
drivers and have DirectX 9.0c.

I looked on the EA Games website and I think it was saying that you need a
GeForce 2 card. Would this be why I am experiencing these problems? If this
is the case, will a GeForce 2 MX card be okay? I do not really know much
about graphics cards, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

> I have recently purchased Need For Speed Underground 2 for the PC. I have
> P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, and a nVidia Riva TNT2 graphics card. When I run the
> game, some graphics do not display correctly, e.g. where there should be
> buttons with text, there is just squares. I am running the latest nVidia
> drivers and have DirectX 9.0c.

TNT2 is a very old card... new games no longer support it. If you want to
play new games, you have to upgrade.

> I looked on the EA Games website and I think it was saying that you need a
> GeForce 2 card. Would this be why I am experiencing these problems? If
this
> is the case, will a GeForce 2 MX card be okay? I do not really know much
> about graphics cards, so any help would be much appreciated.

Technically, yes, but a GeForce2MX is a very weak card... cheap, yes, but
you won't be able to see what your purchased game really look like. You
would be turning resolution and the eye candies all the way down. If you're
looking for realistic driving experience but not eye candy, then you should
be playing other games (e.g. NFS Porsche unleased isn't perfect, but much
better than U2).

Get one up-to-date card... it will cost more, but will last much longer
(means support more future games as well as peform better and looks better)
than a GeForce2MX ever will be.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:10:59 -0000, "Ben" <ben@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I have recently purchased Need For Speed Underground 2 for the PC. I have a
>P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, and a nVidia Riva TNT2 graphics card.

The box specifies that you need a GeForce 2 or greater (or Radeon 7500 or
greater) video card. Your TNT 2 will not cut it.

There are a lot of good deals on video cards, I put in a Radeon 9800 Pro and am
very happy with the NFSU2 play on my P4 2.8 Dell 4600.

Check out the deals at www.newegg.com and get at least a Radeon 9600 Pro if you
choose ATI or for a really tight budget this FX5500 for $69 + $2.99 shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-145-076&DEPA=0

Enjoy,

Tim Wisner

www.wisner.us

predator

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

instead of spending money on nfsu2, spend money on getting a better video
card

"Ben" <ben@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased Need For Speed Underground 2 for the PC. I have a
>P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, and a nVidia Riva TNT2 graphics card. When I run the
>game, some graphics do not display correctly, e.g. where there should be
>buttons with text, there is just squares. I am running the latest nVidia
>drivers and have DirectX 9.0c.
>
> I looked on the EA Games website and I think it was saying that you need a
> GeForce 2 card. Would this be why I am experiencing these problems? If
> this is the case, will a GeForce 2 MX card be okay? I do not really know
> much about graphics cards, so any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

This is just a stab in the dark, but does it require Hardware T&L?.. if so,
I don't think the TNT2 has it... if that is the case.. that may be your
problem. I can't really say because I own the Xbox version. However, I have
played the demo on my system and even though it's a high-end machine, it
should play very well on even.. say.. a 9700Pro (ATI) which you can get now
for real cheap since the X800's are out. I would upgrade to a 9700Pro (which
I owned before this X800 Pro).. it worked great for me and prob. still would
if I wasn't so power-hungry. =)

My screaming orgasm in a box:
Athlon 64 FX-53
X800 Pro
1GB
36GB 10,000RPM SCSI HD

>I have recently purchased Need For Speed Underground 2 for the PC. I have a
>P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, and a nVidia Riva TNT2 graphics card. When I run the
>game, some graphics do not display correctly, e.g. where there should be
>buttons with text, there is just squares. I am running the latest nVidia
>drivers and have DirectX 9.0c.
>
> I looked on the EA Games website and I think it was saying that you need a
> GeForce 2 card. Would this be why I am experiencing these problems? If
> this is the case, will a GeForce 2 MX card be okay? I do not really know
> much about graphics cards, so any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

Hi

Do you think an x700 X16 256meg card would be ok too?

Thanks!

Gary

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 04:11:38 GMT, "ZeeOhSix" <nospammers@hell-on-earth.net>
wrote:

>Do you think an x700 X16 256meg card would be ok too?

Yep.

Enjoy,

Tim Wisner

www.wisner.us